Weighty Decor

I love antique scales and balances. I'm not really sure why I am drawn to these, but I seem to gravitate towards the items that were functional or used daily in their prime. There's something so soulful to me about antique fans, ironstone dishes, grain sacks, and old baskets that have been mended. Scales offer that kind of beauty in the functional.I love how the green paint peaks through the rust on this scale and the numbers on the face are so classic. This old grocery scale was a bit of a splurge for me, but I have always wanted one. It was $45 at an antique store in North Carolina and I picked it up as soon as I saw it. I figured I would rather have one item I really wanted instead of 3-4 items I liked, but didn't HAVE to have. I HAD to have this!

This balance was another antique store splurge (I think around $50), but it is made of cast iron and the plates are milk glass. It's a very interesting piece.

I really like the contrasting finishes on this piece. Who says you can't mix metals. Here cast iron, brass, and steel working in harmony.
I think this is the very first scale I ever purchased. It was $14.00 at an antique store and something I've held onto for many years.
This balance is my most recent purchase. It was $20.00 at a yard sale. How could I pass that up? The blue/gray color of the cast iron is so beautiful and fits perfectly in my mostly blue & white home.


Miss Mustard Seed

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special