Bathroom Makeover

Whenever my mom visits the two of us get a ridiculous amount of stuff done together. In less than a week, we cleaned out my grandparent's attic, painted my home office (twice...oops), painted my bathroom, cleaned everything we found in the attic, rearranged pictures and furniture, shopped, priced items for the shop, and took care of my boys. It was a whirlwind week. My parents left early this afternoon and I took a much needed nap. Now, it's time to start sharing what we've accomplished. The picture above is what my bathroom looks like now and below is the before. I inherited this green color and it's the only room I hadn't painted in my home. I just didn't know what to do with it. I wouldn't choose to have an almond tub and toilet, a pinkish beige floor, or an oak cabinet & mirror. At this point new white fixtures, tile or stone floors, subway tile, bead board, and an antique buffet to drop a sink into are not in my budget, so I needed to do what I could with paint. I chose a creamy beige made by Sherwin Williams called Irish Cream. It worked with everything that was already in the room and once the paint was up, I realized it even made everything look better.
This bathroom was pretty neglected. I would just set things out, not really trying to make it look good. Nothing was on the wall except an old oil painting and a towel bar that kept falling down.

Here's my test swatch. It had been hanging out on the wall for about 2 months.
So, this is how the bathroom looks now. I love it! It is not my dream bathroom, but with a can of paint, a $25 rug, stuff rummaged from my grandparent's attic and the rest of my house, and a thrift store find or two, we made this look like an entirely different room.

My grandmother love the beach and shells. In fact, we found several 5 gallon buckets and some garbage bags full of shells and coral. We picked out our favorites, cleaned them up, and used them in this bathroom.
(Sorry, the color is strange in this picture.) We hung ironstone and brown & cream transferware over the toilet. A hurricane filled with shells, cotton balls in an apothecary, and my white scale make a simple arrangement on the vanity.
We found this sepia toned photograph in a beautiful wood frame in the attic. Once we cleaned it up, we saw it would look perfect in this bathroom.
This cast iron fish was found in the attic as well and the box belonged to mom when she was a little girl. I decided to store our soap in a glass canister.
Normally pictures make a room look better than it is, but this is an occasion when the room looks better in person. I still have some things I would like to do (buy brown & light blue towels, dye the shower curtain brown, and paint the mirror and the vanity cabinet. Hopefully I'll get to those things soon.

I have some before & afters to show you, more attic finds, and some new projects, so make sure you check back! I'll also be announcing my FFF favorites and a winner either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Miss Mustard Seed

I'm posting this to Bloggeritaville's Thrifty Thursday.