Snow, Sledding, Soup & Silver Bowls

I've been feeling a little mossy lately and my glue gun has been on fire! I've made wreaths, ball topiaries, and now some bowl topiaries. I'm going to share the bowl topiary tutorial with you in this post, as well as the events of my day. The weather forecast a few days ago projected that we could get about 8 inches of snow. Last night it looked like we might get a foot. Right now we're at about a foot and counting. It looks like we'll have about 15-20+" by the time it's done. My Christmas play rehearsal was cancelled, so we've just been hanging out at home.
I made biscuits, eggs and bacon for breakfast...
My (almost) 3 year son and I baked and decorated about a dozen Christmas cookies...

I made some split pea & ham soup...

My hubby and oldest son went out sledding for about 10 minutes (that's all a 3 year old could take when it was snowing as hard as it was)...

We love being socked in on a winter day like this. My hubby just went out to shovel and there was about 4 feet in front of our van from the snow plow. We might be inside for a while...

On to the tutorial! Collect bowls of varying sizes. I happened to have some unused silver bowls, but ironstone would be lovely as well. Just use what you have. I find silver at yard sales and thrift stores for dirt cheap all the time. I think people get tired of polishing it, but I don't mind a little tarnish at all.
Wad up magazine pages (or plastic grocery bags, newspaper, tissue, whatever) to act as a filler in the bowls. You want to squish them down and arrange them so they make a dome shape in the bowl. This will act as a form and gluing foundation for your moss.
Apply some hot glue to the paper to hold the moss in place. Then add dabs of glue around the edges and tuck the moss in. Try to keep the glue on the paper, but it's ok if you get some on the bowl. When you take the moss and paper out, you can easily scratch off any dried glue.
Aren't these so lovely? I do not have a green thumb when it comes to house plants. I've just never cared enough to read up on what I'm supposed to do to really nurture them. Also, my cats eat them and then throw up on my refinished wood floor. (Why not the linoleum?) Anyway, moss is a great way to add greenery and a natural element without the stress of watering, perfect light, and fertilizer.
These took me about 10 minutes to make and cost only $1.97 for a 2 oz pack of floral moss from Wal-Mart. I used less than half of the bag for this project and kept the remainder for a wreath.

I don't know if you can tell, but the bowl above is a trophy that my grandfather won in a tennis tournament. This is also an attic find.
I love the winter, but I am looking forward to weather when I can paint again. You should see the stash of furniture in my basement! It's ridiculous. Whatever the weather, more great makeovers and projects are sure to come!

Miss Mustard Seed

I'm sharing this at Donna's Saturday Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors and