"Joy" Banner Tutorial

Here's my tutorial on how to make this cute and easy "Joy" banner for the holidays. It was the kind of project I made up as I went along and I really like how it turned out. (Don't you love it when that happens?)
1.) First, you need some chipboard letters to spell out whatever word you want on the banner. You can buy them, cut them yourself with an exact-o knife, or with a Cricut or other personal cutting machine. I purchased this package of 26 pages for $10.00 at AC Moore. One cool thing about this package is that once I use all of the letters, I can use what's left as a stencil.

2.) I decided on the word Joy and picked three letters that were the same size, but different fonts to make it more interesting. 3.) Using a foam brush, apply Elmer's glue onto the letters. I like to work over tin foil because it protects my counter and makes for easy clean-up. Just ball it up and throw it away!
4.) Sprinkle glitter over your letters. I used German glass glitter and although it is the best, it is expensive and you have to special order it. Martha Stewart offers a nice glitter, so you could just use that or whatever you have on hand.

I store my glitter in a Ziploc bag, but when I use it I pour a moderate amount into a Rubbermaid container. I then spoon the glitter onto the chipboard, letting the excess fall into the container.

When I'm finished, I pour the remaining glitter back into the Ziploc bag. This stuff is pricey, but even if you're using cheap glitter, why would you want to waste any?

5.) Cut a length of upholstery webbing that will fit your letters and greenery. I chose to cut the end of mine in an inverted "v" pattern. I just like the way it looks. You could also use a wide ribbon or fabric.

5.) Select some greenery with a sturdy stem to attach to the webbing in order to hang the banner. This is an ever green and pine cone branch I bought a few years ago on clearance. I already had a cream grosgrain ribbon tied on it. You could really use anything here...a cluster of ornaments, silk flowers, a big bow, whatever is most "you."

6.) This branch has a thick wire running down the back, so it will be very easy to attached to the webbing. I also looped the top of it to make a way to hang the banner.

7.) Using a cutter (or scissors), make lengths of florist wire to "stitch" the webbing onto the branch

It will look something like this.



8.) Once the glue on your glittered letters is dry, place them onto the webbing to space them out how you want them. Glue them on with a few dabs of hot glue. (You see my cat helping me?)

All done! This did not take much time at all and I am crazy about it. I love the contrast between the sparkle of the glittered letters and the rustic texture of the webbing.

I hung it between two windows in our home office. It was in a tough place to get a "money shot" of it, but you get the idea. It looks even better in person.

I hope this is an inspiration for you and gets those crafty wheels turning!
Tomorrow I'm driving to my grandfather's house for a couple of days to help with cleaning out his attic. He passed away in October, so it's a sad occasion. There are a lot of wonderful heirlooms, pieces of family history, and cool junk up there, so the treasure hunt will be fun (despite the bugs, dust, and poor lighting.) I'm also getting to spend two days with my mom...with NO KIDS! I will really miss my husband and boys, but this is a very rare thing for me, so it will be enjoyable. I'll take pictures and share my best finds with all of you. We'll also be hitting Goodwill and Salvation Army while we're there...can't wait!

Miss Mustard Seed