Full Speed Ahead!

Furniture Feature Friday runs through Saturday night, so make sure you scroll down to check it out and participate.

I'm giving you fair warning - you had better stay out of my way right now, or you might get painted, decorated, and rearranged! I am on a tear to get things done in my house and I am having a blast. I've been painting, moving furniture, rearranging accessories, making topiaries, wreaths, hanging pictures, organizing my cabinets, and causing a general upheaval in my home. Of course, I've been snapping pictures all along the way. AND I still have attic thrift store finds to share with you.

Today, I am going to share a troublesome little corner that I just made over. This corner is in our home office, which use to be the kitchen in our 1940's house. An addition was put on the back of our home to add a basement workshop, a kitchen, family room, and master suite. When this renovation happened, what was the kitchen became a glorified hallway that sits between the new kitchen and dining room. It also has a hall to the stairs and the door to the basement. All of these things makes this a tough space to know what to do with. This is how it looks today. Over the past week, we painted the walls, my hubby built a radiator cover, I placed a more comfortable chair in the corner and rearranged the book shelf (an old kitchen cabinet.) And, yes, that is an ironing board cabinet that still houses a functioning ironing board and sports the original glass knob.
This is how it looked before this most recent makeover. The rocker was not inviting, the shelf was cramped with photo albums and the color, although a nice one, did not flow with the kitchen and dining room. I had also stapled fabric to a shelf to cover the radiator temporarily. Temporarily was 3 years, but that's just how things go sometimes.
This picture is how that space looked when we moved in. Can you believe a refrigerator was sitting there? The floors were linoleum with plywood patches, an old gas pipe was sticking out of the floor (where the stove used to be), the trim was dark pine, and the walls were a dingy cream. We moved the fridge to the basement (duh), painted EVERYTHING (the walls, trim, ceiling) and installed walnut stained oak wood floors.
And here's my new radiator cover. I smile every time I walk past it. I am so blessed to have, not only a great hubby, but a handy one.
Instead of being stuffed with photo albums, the reorganized shelf now shows off some of the antique books I found in my grandparent's attic, family photos, and blue & white china. Ahhh, much better. We're still working on the rest of this room. We have plans for a wall of built-ins around the window and some storage for backpacks, coats, shoes, etc. I'm also thinking about painting the ironing board cabinet white with a chalkboard center. Any thoughts?
I also wanted to share a couple of new additions to my newly rearranged buffet. I made a simple moss wreath (tutorial pending) and hung it over the mirror. I also added cream tassels to the lamps.
I already had these hanging off of cabinet knobs, but they make a bigger impact on these lamps. I love the texture and natural element this wreath added. It was very simple and cheap! It cost about $3.00 to make this wreath.

I hope you're enjoying my decorating frenzy. I know I am.

Miss Mustard Seed

I am sharing this at My Romantic Home's Show & Tell Friday , Frugal Friday at the Shabby Nest and Met Monday at Between Naps on the Poarch

I'm also sharing this post to a new link party that's all about DIY for others.  My husband built this radiator cover just for me.  :)
lovely place button