More Mossy Tutorials & a Feature

First of all, I am super excited to announce that today I am being featured on Amy's amazing blog, Mod Podge Rocks. She noticed a few of my decoupage projects and asked to do a feature. Well, duh...sure! Her site is jam packed with projects, ideas, and loads of inspiration. Check it out!

I said it in my Silver Bowl Moss Topiary post, I've been in a mossy mood lately. Several reasons. It's cheap, it's easy, it won't die, and it looks fabulous. So, I promised I would give a tutorial on how to make the moss wreath hanging in my dining room and here it is... I feel a little funny giving a tutorial, because it's so simple. I purchased 2 wreath forms from the Dollar Tree and 3 packages of floral (sheet) moss from Wal-Mart. The wreaths were $1.00 each and the moss was $1.97 per 2 oz bag.

The only other thing you need is a glue gun and glue sticks. You can get one at Wal-Mart if you don't already own one. I would recommend a high-temp glue gun. It's faster and works better, although the risk of burning your fingers does go up along with the temperature! Tear the sheet moss into manageable sections and glue them directly onto the wreath form.

Cover one side completely and flip the wreath over.

Glue moss onto the other side, then glue down the rough edges left on the inside and outside of the wreath. And...tada!

Soooo easy. I just hung mine with a ribbon over a mirror, but this would look lovely on a window, book shelf, door, or just hung on the wall. Onto tutorial number two - Moss ball topiaries.


I purchased two large grapevine balls. The reason I went with these instead of foam was cost and size. The were cheaper and bigger. I wanted substantial topiaries. I really dislike ones that look skimpy and are in pots that look too small. You know? I think these were $3.99/each at Hobby Lobby.

I found 2 sticks from outside and cut them to the desired size. Stick them into the grapevine ball and glue the top and bottom to keep it in place. Make sure you hold it for a minute, so the glue dries. I'll admit, it is much easier working with foam, so it's your choice.

Glue the moss all the way around the grapevine ball. Clean up any glue gun threads and stray moss. I found two brass planters at Goodwill and sprayed them an oil rubbed bronze. I cut a piece of floral foam and glued it to the bottom of the planter. I surrounded it with bunched up grocery bags as a filler, then placed sheet moss to cover them.

I've always loved topiaries, but they can be so expensive. These cost me less than $20 for the pair. Now, I've gotta get my hands on some boxwood branches!

Just a reminder - No Furniture Feature Friday this week. A feature on my favorite will be posted tomorrow. Is it you?

Miss Mustard Seed



BCD Show and tell