How to Revive a Wreath...Clear!

Did you pull your wreath out of storage this year and realize it looks sad, tired and pathetic? I did. With about 10 minutes, some florist wire, glass ornaments, and some ribbon, you can bring it back to life. (Did anyone get my ER reference in the title?)
Here's how the wreath looked when I pulled it out of storage. Pine cones were missing, some berries had "burst", and it was so dull you could hardly see it from the street. The first sign of a tired wreath is when the coating on the faux berries chips off to expose the foam. There were only a few, so I cut the offending berries off with scissors.

I then needed to address the large holes that exposed old & crusty glue. I had some frosted white and glossy red glass ornaments handy, so I decided to use those. In addition to filling the gaps. they added some shine.

All you need is florist wire and a pair of cutters (or scissors.) Cut a length of wire long enough to cluster three ornaments together and wrap around the wreath.

Thread three ornaments on the wire, center them, and twist to cluster them together. Use the remaining wire to wrap around the wreath, twisting the ends together in the back to secure the cluster.

Select and cut a length of ribbon about 2 feet long. I used some ribbon that I bought a few years ago to make a bow for a tree topper. I'm going to make something new this year, so I didn't need it for that.

I like to cut ribbon at an angle. It looks so much prettier than ribbon that is cut straight. (Ha! I cut this piece with my kitchen scissors and it is not a very clean cut. Oh well...)

Fold the ribbon back and forth, over on itself to make a "bow." Twist a length of florist wire to secure it and then attach it to the wreath (just like the ornament clusters.)

I think the ribbon looks best when it's tucked in behind the ornaments. Then shape the ribbon into nice loops. (It's best to use a fat, wired ribbon, but use whatever you have.)

Here's the finished wreath. I made 5 ornament clusters and 3 ribbons. For some reason, odd numbers are more pleasing to the eye when decorating.
I was able to bring this trash-worthy wreath to life with stuff I already had and a few minutes of my time.

The best thing is you can actually see it from the street. Before it blended in with my black door and now it pops.
If you want a different look, you could use silk flowers, artificial fruit, wooden ornaments, crocheted snowflakes, vintage Christmas cards, the possibilities are endless!
Make sure you come back for my Furniture Feature Friday link party. Remember you can share any post about furniture or home furnishings. This includes makeovers, favorite finds, room arrangements, or accessories. I hope to see you all there!
Furniture Feature Fridays


Miss Mustard Seed

I'm linking this to Reinvented's Tuesday Link Party.


BCD Show and tell