What happened to...?

...my starting a business series?  Well, I kinda got busy running my business that I just had to abandon it.  Lately, I have received so many awesome e-mails from ladies who have been inspired to start their own business by my blog and my story.  I can't tell all of you how encouraging that is to me.  I've shared many times that I never saw myself as a business owner, designer, writer, or artist.  Now, I fill all of those roles.  I don't have a degree in any of it.  I wasn't trained in any of it.  I don't have any initials or credentials after my name.  I started my business by painting wooden ornaments over my kitchen counter with a toddler and an infant at my ankles.  If I can do this, you can do this.



In a recent e-mail I received, I was asked how I would spend $2000 if I was starting my business over again.  I was surprised how easily I was able to answer that question, so I thought I would share the answer with all of you.

I would buy...
A decent laptop and some kind of accounting software
A paint sprayer
Business cards
Things to refurbish and sell

(As a secondary thing, I would buy a decent camera and take a photography workshop to learn how to use it properly.  Photos matter a lot when you're writing a blog and selling online.)

And I would definitely start a blog.  It's free and it's been the biggest enhancement and best move I have made for my business.  Opportunities that I've gained through having a blog (that might not have come otherwise) are...

Advertising/Sponsorship money
Writing for HGTV.com
Becoming a vendor at Wild Rose and Co. Marketplace
Internet sales
A few other super exciting things that are around the corner
AND the amount I made at The Old Lucketts Fair was triple what I made last year, all from blog exposure

So, have you been feeling "the draw" or "the nudge"?  If so, start a blog.  Buy a laptop, a paint sprayer, some furniture and some cards.  File as a business in your state.  Take the plunge.  Dream big and take baby steps.  Let the road stretch far out in front of you and see where it leads. 

To quote one of my favorite books...

"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)"

(Dr. Seuss was a smart guy.)

"KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!

So...
be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
you're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...get on your way!"

Miss Mustard Seed