"She's a designer"

My MIL (mother-in-law) and I went to Hobby Lobby last week to buy some upholstery webbing and other supplies for current projects.  We had two fidgety toddlers, so I asked if she would get eight yards of upholstery webbing cut for me while I picked up some other things.  When we found each other, she was laughing.  The clerk at the cutting counter asked what the webbing was for. 

"It's for my daughter-in-law." 

"What is she going to do with all of it?"

"She uses it to cover lampshades and things."

Blank stare.

"She's a designer."

"Oh.  Ooookay."

Some people just don't get it. 


So, I took my upholstery webbing and used it to cover a dated thrift store shade, which topped off a brass thrift store lamp that I primed, painted and antiqued. 

Here's how the lamp started.  It's a very heavy, quality lamp, but I don't know a single person who likes brass lamps anymore.  Well, my mom has brass lamps, but her home is very traditional and they work there.  Anyway, I used a spray primer for metal to make sure the paint would adhere.  After the primer coat dried, I brushed on two coats of red (equal parts red and burnt umber) acrylic paint and finished it off with a rub of dark walnut stain.


The huge shade was a challenge to cover.  The bell shape made me get creative with the pattern, but I love how it turned out.  I simply cut the pieces of webbing to size and used hot glue to hold them in place. 

Do you get it?  Or am I alone here?  Hello?


Make sure you check out my side bar to see how you can win in my  "Roll a Day Giveaway", just by leaving a comment. 


Miss Mustard Seed