Book Bundles & Birds

I decided to share another very cheap and easy home decor project today.  I love the look of old books and I've been fortunate enough to find some cool ones on my thrifting excursions, but what if you can't find any old books?  No problem. 
Run (or drive) to your local thrift store and pick up a stack of hard back books.  I bought mine at Goodwill for $.97/each.  Try to find books that have yellowed pages and a bit of age to them.  Most of the books I found were from the 1980's.
Using an exacto knife, cut the bound pages from the spine and remove the cover. 
Bundle the books together using twine and use for display.  (Just a tip - Don't do this to your husband's civil war book collection on a day you're mad at him.)
These neutral book bundles are a great way to decorate a book shelf, fill space on an end table, or add height to shorter objects in a vignette. 

The other little project I worked on today was painting these birds. 
They started out as black and looked a little flat and boring.  I painted them cream and added an antique glaze to bring out the detail. 
These birds are going to be for sale.  "Where?", you ask.  Well, that's for another post...


Miss Mustard Seed