Painted Pail Tutorial

I loved how much my large painted pail turned out, so I went out today and bought several smaller ones to work on.  As promised, here's a step-by-step tutorial and some other ideas for painting and using these buckets.   
Start with a galvanized metal pail.  I found these on triple clearance at TJ Maxx, but I'm sure you could find some at any craft store.
Apply a sloppy coat of a crackle medium and allow to dry until tacky.  Don't let it get too dry or it won't work as well.  Check your perfection at the door with this project.  The gloppier, the better.
Apply a sloppy coat of paint.  I used both latex and acrylic paints in varying shades and allowed them to dry for about ten minutes. 
If you want to add a pattern, like the red cross, stripes, a number, or words, this would be the time.  I made a paper template for the red cross and traced it onto the pail.  I used Frog Tape for the stripes and painted the numbers free hand. 
Once your painted detail is just dry, take a piece of painter's tape and stick it to the pail, pressing it into the paint and pulling it off.  This will remove some of the paint in patches. 
The last step is to apply a glaze to soften the paint color.  I used Valspar's Asphaltum glaze, because that's what I had on hand.  I brushed it on and rubbed it off with a damp paper towel. 
Now, different paints responded differently to the tape paint removal method.  The latex paint in a satin finish works the best.  You can seal the paint, if you prefer, but I think any chips and dings will just add to the aged look of the pail. 
On a few of the pails, I painted simple stripes and added a chalkboard tag. 
I also painted a chalkboard pail to see how that would look.  It took three coats of paint, so I only made one.  Don't laugh at my rosemary topiary.  I'm still growing it and I just thinned it out.  I know.  It's sad at the moment.

I have been a paintin' fool the last few days and I have a babysitter coming for several hours today to give me even more time, so I'll have a lot of new things to share over the next couple of weeks.  Stay tuned...

Miss Mustard Seed