French Settee Makeover

Alright, all of you Francophiles out there...sit down, take a deep breath and look at this baby...


Remember what she looked like a few days ago?  Things don't look too bad in this picture, but the fabric was worn and the finish was a dated blonde/pickled sort of wood.


I removed all of the upholstery except for the seat.  I knew I wanted to slipcover that, so it would be washable and durable.  


The frame received a thin coat of creamy paint, which was then sanded off. The result is a soft, aged and imperfect finish.
 

The back and arms were reupholstered in durable canvas drop cloth with a bright white trim.  I took my new pneumatic upholstery staple gun for a spin and that gadget is worth every single stinkin' penny I spent on it.  About 80% of the frustration experienced during my last upholstery job was alleviated with this staple gun. 


I know I would want to be able to wash the seat cover, so I chose a slipcover over upholstery, even though it meant a little more work.  I know whoever buys it would feel relieved they could throw it in the washing machine after their toddler does a face plant on it after eating an Oreo, which inevitably happens with white furniture.  I love the knife pleats on the mini skirt.  This girl's got great legs and I want to show them off.


Since the pleating was short, I could take it all the way around the legs and back and I love the flirty detail it adds.  The skirt is tied on with bright white grosgrain ribbon with some no-fray applied to the edges.


Oh, French settee, why do I have to sell you?


(Can you tell how much I love this settee?) This may be one of my favorites pieces ever.

To recap, before...


...and after.


Sigh.


Miss Mustard Seed

Thanks so much to all who have voted to win me a bathroom makeover.  Please keep it up!