Union Jack Dresser Junior

First, I want to thank Stacy from Red Door Home for featuring Miss Mustard Seed as the blog of the month for March.  She is the one who inspired my color choice for my living and dining room.  Read her feature to find out how.

If you've been reading my blog the past few days, you know I've been working on my second Union Jack Dresser.  Just click to read part one and part two

And now...the reveal.


Last night I applied the second coat of white and red on the flag and allowed it to dry overnight. 


This morning I sanded the entire piece with a coarse sand paper.  I sanded all edges down to the wood and only lightly sanded the flat surfaces. 


After wiping off the dust with a rag, I applied a dark wax on the entire dresser.  The dark wax (made by Minwax) antiques the paint, brings out the richness of the wood exposed by sanding and protects the piece. 


Simply rub the wax on with a rag, allow it to dry to a haze and then buff with a clean cloth.  I use scrap canvas drop cloth leftover from my slipcover and upholster projects. 


I had some questions about painting around keyholes.  I simply painted around them.  Now, I recognize that I have a very steady hand, so this is not possible for everyone.  Just keep a wet rag handy to wipe away any paint you get on the brass.  Another trick is to sand the key holes once the paint is dry.  I sanded these keyholes lightly with the palm sander and it actually buffs the brass.


Sanding the edges makes the distressing look natural, since that is where normal wear happens.




The top was stained in Minwax dark walnut and waxed with one coat of dark wax. 


I had a fun time staging the dresser in a masculine/vintage vignette.  I kept the vignette simple and neutral with warm woods and contrasting textures. 



The picture on the right is of my great, great uncle, Garland Estes Vaughan.  Isn't that a dapper name?  He was killed shortly after his college graduation in a car accident. 


Some white flowers are bunched into a silver relay race trophy from the 1920's.


I found the wooden dumbbell at an antique store for $9.  I thought that was such a steal, since they are usually around $20.


I leaned a small wooden handled brush against a loose stack of books.  I found it at an antique store for $3.00.


The smaller picture is of my maternal grandfather as a boy in a homemade sailboat.  He died about a year and a half ago and I really miss him.  He was an amazing man and my oldest son was named after him. 


So, just to recap, here's the before (it did have drawers, they were taken out to move the piece)...


...and the after.


It's going to The Old Lucketts Store in Lucketts, Virginia, to sell, if you're interested!


Miss Mustard Seed