Living Room Desk Before & After

For those of you who cry or hyperventilate at painted wood...look away.

Consider yourself warned.


I did it. I painted my great-grandfather's desk. Calm down.  Relax.  Allow me to explain.  This desk has been with me since high school.  Through college, two cats and about twelve moves.  The finish was tired, had a waxy build-up that I could not clean and it was scratched to bits by my cats.  This desk needed to be refinished or painted.  I wasn't about to try striping those curvy legs, so paint was the only realistic option for me.  Have you calmed down? This was not a pristine piece.


It also just looks better in the space. Lest you think I have loads of painted furniture, I really don't...well, didn't...until this week...when I went a little nutty and painted six pieces of previously wood furniture.  I still have a lot of solid wood in my house, though...don't fret.


I shared in my guest room dresser post that I have been experimenting and enjoying some new products.  One product was used on the guest room dresser  and my new very favorite paint ever in the whole wide world was used on this desk and the other four pieces I painted. 



This paint rocked my world.  I have always been a faithful Sherwin Williams ProClassic or Duration user and I will still use those sometimes, but this new paint is going to be my go-to paint. 


It distresses beautifully, it clings to almost anything, it's water based, it's low odor, it mixes well, it's...amazing.



So, what is this wonderful paint?  Well, I'm going to be totally mean and not tell you in this post.  

All in good time.