The "Copy Me" Challenge Kick Off!

Welcome to the long awaited Copy Me Challenge kickoff!

Copy Me Challenge

Donna and I challenged you to copy our style...


...and we got in on the fun.  Can I pull off Donna's funky junk style?  Did she make a slipcover or find a stash of ironstone? 

It's time to find out.

Heeeeeere's Donna!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey everyone! Emulating Miss Mustard Seed was a wild experience! I even brought out my glue gun and tried a new craft. But did I actually sew? You'll have to see for yourself. :)

Ready for a little fun first? Here's what you need to do...

Due to copyright regulations, not all songs are viewable on videos any longer, so here's a quick fix. Activate both start buttons at nearly the same time. They are both created to work together.

 Once video starts, you can up the quality from 240 to 360.

Here's what happened to me when my own follower widget flipped to 4000.... :)



All fun aside, can I copy Miss Mustard Seed?

Not a chance.  However I gave it my best shot with things I already had. Welcome to my own Miss Mustard Seed inspired tour!


The room was softened with lots of warm whites, and more upscale furniture pieces.  The vintage singer sewing machine pays homage to MMS's incredible sewing skills.

~ The fireplace ~



I brought out the glue gun and whipped up my first ever music sheet wreath. To help balance out the darkness of the fireplace, lunch bag sections were used to create the deeper toned sections.

MMS features:

Vintage scale, ironstone, white pitcher, typography, greens, curvy lines on the mirror.

 ~ Media cabinet ~



A touch of tarnished silver along with typography, two MMS trademarks.


A small dresser received a fresh coat of white, with painted darker edging resembling a glazed effect. A cheat for the design - a stencil was used to mimic MMS' hand painted techniques. Replacing one drawer with some rustic baskets added warmth to a room of whites and also helped reduce the visual height of the dresser.

 ~ Coffee table ~


An antique white coffee table with glazed detailing groups up with other MMS inspired pieces, such as the ceramic pot.


A classic looking tray was created out of a cabinet door decorated with not sheet music, but rather...


 ... vintage farm receipts written by my dad. This hit a music sheet feel, yet was also inspired from MMS' love for old letters. The yellowed patina on the receipts is amazing!



MMS's love for black and white photography and unexpected surprises came out in this little vignette alongside the tray.

 ~ Chair ~



A light wing chair 'resembles' a white slip cover. The paisley red touch was a direct reflection to MMS' guestroom colours. And the final touch? The white pillow got a MMS style karate chop in the center. :)


A wicker basket dresses up the firewood storage. (vs. my Coke crate)


A vintage child's camisole is a direct influence on MMS' collection of antique children's dresses.

I hope you enjoyed my version of a MMS influenced room. I had a blast!  I can't wait to see what you came up with!"


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh...the scale, the wreath!  Love it all!


The part where she looks at her son in the video cracked me up and she has no idea how accurate that morning hair was.  I can rock a pretty awesome blonde afro in the morning. 

If you'd like to check out how my Funky Junk inspired project turned out, visit Donna's blog right now.  I made a video as well.  I did not use a Canadian accent, though, because I thought I would insult all of my northern neighbors and maybe some people in the Dakotas. 

Are you ready to share your projects?  No video necessary!  Just link up a project that was inspired by this challenge or that fits one of our styles.  Miss Mustard Seed inspired projects will be linked here and Funky Junk inspired projects will be linked up there. 

The link party starts this Friday night at 10:00 pm EST instead of my usual Furniture Feature Friday.  It will be open for one week, so you have plenty of time to enter your project.   Finalists and grand winners will be announced on both blogs shortly after the party closes. 

What will the "grand winner" win at each blog?  You have to come to the link parties to find out, but it's going to be good stuff!

See you then!

Copy Me Challenge


 
 


Miss Mustard Seed