DIY or LSEDI?

Translation: Do It Yourself or Let Someone Else Do It? 

The bunk bed debate made me think about this.  I always...well...almost always want to do things myself.  I don't know if it's a control thing or a I-just-like-things-how-I-like-things thing or I-just-have-expensive-taste-and-the-only-way-I-can-afford-what-I-like-is-to-make-it-myself kind of thing.  I've just always been that way. 

Now, it's hard to shut off.  I'll look through a catalog and think, "I can make that myself."  My floors needed to be refinished, I was five months pregnant.  "No problem.  I can do it myself."  I want slipcovers for my furniture.  "I think I can work that out."  I'd like to refinish a table.  "I think I can do that, too."  Get the idea?

Back to the bunk beds.  Many of you sweet ladies provided the link to Ana White's amazing website complete with plans for a DIY bunk bed.  I actually printed these plans a few months ago and we were going to build them, but the pile of other projects kept pushing this one down the list and my 2 1/2 year old is still climbing out of his crib each morning. 


I know we could build a really nice bed.  A staircase with cubbies and a built-in bookshelf.  Drawers that roll under the bed for additional storage.  All painted and perfectly finished.  Here's the thing...it'll take hours to complete this project and we just don't have that kind of time. 

My parents offered to buy bunk beds for us, so we're taking them up on that offer.


All we have to do is assemble them and it's done. 

This is one of those rare times we'll take LSEDI over DIY. 

How about you?  When do you roll up your sleeves and get out the hammer and when do you call in the professionals?

Miss Mustard Seed