Desk & Ottoman Transformations

I'm always ramping up for something, aren't I?  What was a "down" retail time for me last year is craziness this year.  Every February, The Old Lucketts Store holds their biggest sale of the year...The Ground Hog Day Sale.  Brilliant, isn't it?  So, instead of taking a little time out, R and R, and work a little on my own home, I finished four pieces of furniture in the last two days.  Whew! 


This desk and slipcovered ottoman are the latest projects.  I just dropped them off this evening in the room I share with Karen


This desk was black, beatup and missing a drawer. 


The ottoman was...well...ugly. 


I stripped the paint off the desk top to reveal a beautiful wood grain.  It was then finished with dark walnut stain and a coat of paste wax for protection and luster.  My husband made a new drawer and I added vintage style glass knobs


The base was painted in...you guessed it...Creamy by Sherwin Williams.  ProClassic is my favorite.  I didn't want to distress this piece, since it was black underneath, so I hit the edges lightly with a dry brush and antiquing glaze.  It gives the illusion that the edges were sanded to expose natural wood. 


A light dry brushing over the entire piece brings out the imperfections and celebrates them.


I covered the ottoman in drop cloths with the same gathering technique I used on my French chair.  I won't be repeating the double-ruffle with canvas any time soon.  I broke four needles on this skirt!  I love the sort of slouchy, yet chic look I achieved, though. 


I bought the lantern at 85% off due to three missing panes of glass.  Sometimes compromising on a piece isn't compromising at all.  You hardly notice they are missing. 



The skirt on the ottoman is a little wonky, but I think it sort of fits with the slouchy/chic look.  Let's hope someone else thinks so and buys it at the sale this weekend! 

Make sure to come back tomorrow night to share your "Copy Me" challege projects.  The post goes up at 10:00 pm EST.