I suffer from SDAS - Short Design Attention Span

Mitzi left this comment today:

"Marian, I think a lot of your readers, including me, would like to know how long it takes you to upholster a chair, such as the one in this post. I have a feeling you work very fast. I fear that if I attempt real upholstering on a real piece of furniture, it would take me a couple months to complete!"

Yes.  I work fast and efficient, which sounds great, but it has some down sides.  You see, I suffer from SDAS (Short Design Attention Span.)  I get bored and impatient if something takes me too long to finish.  I will never in my life make a quilt or a cross stitch sampler or anything that is a lengthy labor of love.  I will only make things that can be whipped out in a few hours.  Maybe something that spans a few days, but that's my limit. 


To answer the question directly, an upholstery job takes me about 3-5 hours from before picture to after.  A piece of painted furniture can take about 1-4 hours, depending on what kind of repair work it needs, what kind of techniques or finish I use and if I can use my sprayer or not.  I can turn out a pillow or a hand painted sign in under an hour. 


Don't compare yourself to how I work, though.  Work at your own pace and if it takes you a year to finish a piece, that's ok.  I have to work fast.  I have three retail spaces to feed, I'm writing tutorials for HGTV.com and Cottages and Bungalows (so you're only seeing a fraction of the projects I'm working on right now) and everything else that comes with having a family, little kids, a house, etc.  I can't take on projects that are going to suck a bunch of my time and I keep that in mind when I'm buying pieces to work on.  Don't think I don't have pieces and projects that sit for a long time, though.  But once I decide to pull a piece out of the stash, I finish it quickly. 


This leads me to my latest French chair that I shared with you yesterday...


Ta da!


As I mentioned yesterday, it's not perfect, but this was a challenging chair and I am really proud of how it turned out.  I know I'll have the upholstery thing perfected in time, but this is at a level I feel comfortable putting my name on.


The frame was painted Aria Ivory (right over the wood), followed by a light coat of Light French Grey.  I then distressed the high points with sand paper and antiqued the piece with my special glaze formula.  I used a wet brush in this case to keep the glaze light.  I did not put a top coat on this chair frame.  It's not the kind of piece that is going to take a beating and it's distressed, so any dings will just add to the character.   


The cushion is down-filled, so it was a tricky one to cover.  It's squishy and doesn't hold its shape very well, so I used a gathered edge to disguise that a bit.  The seat cover is removable and machine washable. 


Can you tell I love the arms on chairs?  I am always taking "arm shots."  I just can't resist.


This chair is making the trip to Lucketts tomorrow.  I may sniff a little bit, but I know someone will think she's fabulous and will take good care of my little chair. 

Are you getting your projects ready for the "Copy Me Challenge"?  Well, here's a bit of your competition...


LeAnne from Mossy Rock Interiors shared this sneak peek with me today and I was blown away.  That crackled finish was achieved by taking advantage of the old bubbled finish and painting directly over it without sanding.  Isn't is perfection?  I'm putting together a good prize for the winner, so get to work on those projects!

Miss Mustard Seed