Paint Decks & Quiche Recipe

I love paint decks. (You have to be a contractor/designer to be able to get them for free, but you can sometimes purchase them.) 


Some people get overwhelmed.  You know the type (it may be you)...standing, blank stare in front of the florescent lights and the display of thousands of colors.  "How can I tell what will look good in my home?  It's just a teeny tiny little square of color."  They bite their lip.  Call their husband out of "tool heaven" aisle. Ask total strangers, "does this look like a soft, airy blue to you or is there too much of a purple undertone?" 

I look at a paint deck...thousands of little squares of color...and I get excited.  There are so many possibilities.  So many colors to try!  I am fortunate enough to have lots of uses for paint, so if I see a color I like, I just buy a $5 test pot of it and try it out on a piece of furniture.  I also have a bit of a compulsion with painting walls.  I think I've painted my home office so many times that we've actually lost square footage in that room. 

I'll often just look through my paint decks.  I am familiar with a lot of the names and can immediately picture the color.  It's totally useless information to store in my brain, but it's there.  If someone is in a real pinch and needs me to describe Maison Blank or Stolen Kiss to them...no problem.  I could save a life with that knowledge.  "Just tell us the name of a good red for this piece of furniture...or the lady gets it!"  You never know. 

OK...yeah...anyway...


All of this to say, don't be afraid of color, paint decks or the aisles full of displays.  Options can be overwhelming, but they're good.  You can get the absolute perfect color of crisp white that looks like linen.  You can wrap yourself in the most delicious blue that calms your soul when you enter your room. 

Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a paint color...

Take your time.  You don't need to be in a rush to pick colors that you'll end up wanting to change later. 

Buy test pots of paint colors you think you like and try them out on a patch of wall. 

Colors change in the light.  You may love it in the morning and hate it under incandescent bulbs in the evening. 

Choose colors that flatter.  Not many people look good wearing fluorescent green and not many people will look good (or feel relaxed) in a fluorescent green room. 

Remember that it's just paint.  It's not expensive and it's not permanent.  You don't need to be afraid.

And lastly...parents...let your kids express themselves through choosing the paint for their own room.  It may be wild, but it's just paint and they'll love it and be proud of it.  My mom wouldn't let me paint my room red as a kid and look what happened to me!

What's your favorite paint color right now?


On another note, most of you wanted me to share some recipes, but there were a few with reservations.  I totally understand where they are coming from.  I would much rather look at a beautiful room or decorating ideas than posts with recipes and cooking tips.  This blog is going to stay a DIY/home blog, but I'll throw in a few recipes here and there if I concoct something that's tasty and worth sharing.  I'll also give some updates on my weight loss journey and you can share yours, but, again, this will stay a DIY/Home blog, not a weight loss blog.  Sound OK to everyone?

I work the same way in the kitchen as I do in the craft room.  I don't like to follow recipes (generally.)  I just like to tinker and figure out what tastes good, so the recipes I share will be my own.  Also, since I'm on the Weight Watchers Points Plus (WWPP) plan, I'll include the points value for the recipes.  (I'm glad many of you out there are on it, too.  We can encourage one another!)


Mini Quiches
(Makes one serving, four quiches)
WW PP = 7

4 won ton wrappers (found with the Asian vegetables in the green grocery section)
cooking spray
2 large eggs
2 T skim milk
1/4 small sweet onion
1/4 green pepper
5 asparagus spears
handful of baby spinach
salt/pepper
1 wedge light original Swiss Laughing Cow cheese
flat leaf "Italian " parsley

1.) Finely dice onions, peppers and asparagus and saute in a lightly greased (with cooking spray) pan until soft.  Add spinach at the last second and stir off the heat until it is wilted.
2.) Gently place won ton wrappers in muffin tin.
3.) Mix eggs and skim milk in a bowl.  Salt and Pepper to your personal taste.  Add cooked vegetables to egg mixture and stir.
4.) Spoon egg mixture into won ton wrappers.
5.) Break cheese wedge into pieces and gently push them into each quiche.
6.) Bake at 350 degrees for about 18 minutes or until egg is cooked through.
7.) Sprinkle with chopped parsley. 

Tips: Change the veggie mixture if you don't like asparagus.  Use egg beaters to make it even healthier.  Add some chopped ham or turkey for additional protein.  For a little more crunch, keep the veggies raw.  Don't worry about the fresh parsley if you don't have it on hand.  I almost always have a bunch in an ironstone creamer on my window sill.  Adjust this recipe to make it something you and your family will enjoy!  The possibilites really are endless. 

I've lost 4 lbs in my first week.  Next week, I'm going to pump up the cardio.  If you're on WW (or some other diet) and want to "weigh in" just tell us how much you've lost, so we can celebrate with you! 


Whew!  Two posts in one!


Miss Mustard Seed