Fresh Flowers & Favorite Finds

I was the lucky recipient of Valentine's Day flowers that were given to someone else, but left with me.  My mom was visiting and my dad, being the sweet guy he is, sent her flowers to my house.  A bouquet of flowers doesn't travel well on an airplane, so she left them with me. 


My husband and I agreed a long time ago (after he, very sweetly, paid about $40 for a bouquet of carnations), that we were not going to do the dinner/flowers/chocolate thing on February 14.  We'll save those things for another day when the restaurants aren't packed and the price of flowers isn't jacked up two fold.  Nevertheless, the girl and the photographer in me really enjoyed the fresh flowers. 


We had a nice little photo shoot together as I arranged them in an ironstone pitcher I bought last week. 


And they looked great in my guest room.  I took a little flack from someone a few months ago for having a fake bunch of boxwood by the bedside.  I love fresh flowers, but I simply can't afford them on a weekly basis.  I can't wait until my hydrangea bushes are nice and full and can provide an abundant, free supply. 


I also purchased these Bakelite pieces from The Old Lucketts Store last week.  The knives have amazing detail and I've never seen a fork like that.  At only a few dollars a piece, I couldn't pass them by. 


Even though it's dented and worn, this trophy called out to me.  Can you imagine winning a cup like this for a relay race? This is definitely made in a different era...the 1920's to be exact. 

Come back tomorrow when I announce the top five finalists in the Copy Me Challenge. 


Miss Mustard Seed