Simple Before & Afters

I have been busy getting some new things priced and ready for the next barn sale at Chartreuse and for a ladies shopping night at Wild Rose this Thursday evening.  I finally got around to giving a few things I bought at the Raleigh Flea Market a makeover, so I could add them to the growing pile


I'm assuming these wooden numbers were once house numbers.  They somehow ended up in a flea market and I really loved the shape.  The finish...not so much.  A coat of red acrylic paint calmed down with burnt umber brightened them up.  I finished them with a rub of asphaltum glaze by Valspar. 

I was really wishing I had a "2" and a "5" to use on my Christmas mantle, but this was all they had.  I did buy papier mache numbers at Hobby Lobby today, though, to use for that purpose. 


The pair of doves were sprayed a sorta silver paint color, but it just wasn't doing it for me.  It was, however,  the perfect base for a finish coat of German glass glitter.  Oh yeah.  These look awesome perched on a tree.  I wish I had more.  Click here for my video tutorial on using German glass glitter. 


Speaking of glitter, my husband made a comment a couple of days ago that cracked me up.  He said, "Glitter is the new cat hair in our home."  Meaning, it's everywhere.  This brought to mind a tip I read recently in Real Simple's book. 



A lint roller is the perfect way to clean up glitter...especially if you use the tinsel variety. 


And it really works!


Oh, and my orange, speckled table top behind the lint roller is no more.  I spent the afternoon and evening stripping the dated finish.  The wood under the black splatters is just beautiful.  I now need to decide if I want to leave it natural or go with my usual dark walnut stain. 

(Click here to read my tutorial on furniture stripping...if you dare.)


Miss Mustard Seed