Tale of Two Mantles

Well, one of my "mantles" is actually a piano, but I decorate it like a mantle, so we'll go with it. 

This first mantle...okay...piano, is in my living room.  This vignette is simple, neutral and all about my taste in decorating.  The Hess trucks, laughing Santa and such are banned to the family room. 


A German glass glitter "Christmas" banner is hung from an antique bead board door leaned against the piano. 


I was only able to find two of these raw chipboard banners, so I sold one and kept one for myself.  Aren't you proud of me?  And you thought I sold everything...


The wreath is live and was $9.00 at the grocery store.  That beats the $20 I was quoted at the Christmas tree lot. 


Ironstone pitchers are lined in front of the wreath and the vignette is rounded out with framed family photos and a large gold leafed "and" sign. 


I also arranged an ironstone and live wreath vignette over my curio.  I can't wait to pick out a live tree and adorn it with my sheet music and glass glitter line.  Of course, I still have to make it all, but I know it's going to look beautiful.  I'm also going to make a ruffled linen tree skirt and a very cool burlap garland.  I thought I was burnt out on Christmas, since I've been making decorations since September, but I'm finding renewed energy. 

The second mantle, which is a for real mantle is in my family room.  This one is about family, comfort, and playfulness. 


Half of an antique dutch barn door is the backdrop for artificial greens, sparkly snowflakes, and hand crocheted stockings (made by my mom.)


I used the antique baby buggy frame as a miniature Santa sleigh filled with ornaments and a mini tree wrapped in a jingle bell garland.  A simple burlap scrap lines the buggy. 


I made the German glass glitter "ho ho ho" banner. Click here to view my video tutorial on making these. 

The artificial wreath is filled out with bunches of shatterproof balls, burlap garland and German glass glitter snowflakes. 



Glittered snowflakes are hung from twine across the barn door.  I love the sparkle against the original red paint. 


Donna, quit drooling over my hinges. 


More Christmas decor to come, but I had to get my mantles done to share them at Layla's Holiday Mantle Party.  Thanks for hosting, Layla!


Miss Mustard Seed