Raising a Creative Kid

I've had several people ask where I came from (in a figurative sense)...including my parents!  A few months ago, one of my readers suggested that I share how to raise a creative child.  Well, my boys are still toddlers, so we'll see how well I raise creative kids, but I can tell you how my parents did from a kid's perspective. 

Exhibit A:


Yep, that's me...at nine years old playing little orphan Annie.  I had never done anything beyond church  and school plays and ballet classes, but I was determined to get the part and I did.  Aside from being a little bratty and tired during the whole thing, it was a blast.   


The first thing my parents did was allow me to fly as high as my wings would carry me.  When I wanted to enter the school talent show as a kindergartner, one of the youngest participants, my dad accompanied me.  When I wanted to audition for plays, my mom helped me prepare my piece and then helped me memorize my lines when I got the part.  When I wanted to work in entertainment at a theme park while in high school, they agreed to let me drive an hour each way, not getting home until after 1:00 am most nights.  And when I wanted to go to a performing arts college to learn to become a professional Broadway actress, they paid for my first apartment/shoe box and gave me my space to give it a try.  

They also encouraged me to try lots of things.  I took tap, jazz, ballet, baton twirling, gymnastics and was a cheerleader.  I played baseball (seriously), basketball, soccer, tennis, piano, hand bells, flute, recorder, and guitar.  I rode horses every summer, skied black diamond slopes, white water rafted, climbed mountains, toured castles and went all-night shark fishing.  I took workshops in painting, tin punching, cross stitching and sculpting. 

Now, I wasn't good at all of it.  The only thing I remember about basketball was making sure my shoes matched my uniform, but I did give it a try. 

All of this taught me that I can do almost anything.  My parents always encouraged me to try and it was okay if I failed. 

They never pressured me to be good in something.  I don't remember ever being yelled at about a "C" or being forced into taking an honors class.  I did get some heat when I decided in 3rd grade that I wasn't going to do my homework anymore, which was a little dense on my part because my 3rd grade teacher lived in our stairwell. 

We also had a very musical home.  My mom was a music teacher.  Everyone in my family (except me) played the French horn and all of us play guitar.  We would sing quartets and were expected to perform almost everywhere we went.  Instead of watching TV, we would sit around and sing together. 
Being a military brat, I moved often.  I learned to adapt and make new friends.  I also watched my mom turn Army housing into a cozy home.  She starched fabric onto the walls and used contact paper to cover OD green counters.  I learned a lot about making do. 

I'm not sure which of these factors really did it, but I know that my brother and I are both the creative sort.  He is a musician, singer, improv piano player and owns a recording studio.   

To boil it down, these are the things I'm going to try with my kids...

Encourage them in what they want to do
Allow them to try and fail in new things
Don't pressure them into a hobby or sport they don't like
Don't label them
Be a good example
Sing with them

So, all of you moms out there with creative kids...do you have anything to add? 

Miss Mustard Seed

PS - I'm going to give the blog "floor" to my parents at some point to let them share their side of the story!