Preparing Your House to Sell...to You

Every once in a while, I look at my home with a critical eye.  Most days, I walk past all of the things that are undone and I don't really notice them.  It's easy to get used to something in your home that is unfinished, broken, or downright ugly. 


I'm living right now in the second house we've owned.  The first one was a 1980's town house that needed some major cosmetic work.  We painted every wall surface, refaced the cabinets, installed Brazilian cherry floors, updated all of the fixtures, put up molding and installed pot lights.  It was a two year labor of love that we finished the week we put it on the market to sell.  I was sad that I never got to live in the place when it was totally finished.  Someone else enjoyed the fruits of our labor. 


Our current home has been a four year labor of love and it's still a work in progress, but I am determined that things will be finished for us to enjoy long before we sell it.  This includes all of the small things I live with and tolerate.  For example, the inside of my master bedroom closet is mauve.  I just don't want to take everything out to paint it.  What a pain! 


As we're approaching the new year when people want to refresh their space, a good place to start is to "put your house on the market."  Walk around and look at your home the way a stager or realtor would.  Don't look at the huge renovations you want to do, but look at the small things you would take care of if you were selling your home.  What small repairs need to be made?  What rooms need to be decluttered and organized?  What furniture arrangements aren't working?  How you can make your home look more inviting?

Take time to finish the projects on that list.  Don't wait until you have to sell to do them.  Why does a buyer deserve a better home than you do?  Why let someone else enjoy the fruits of your labor?  And why not live in a home that is living up to its fullest potential?

Miss Mustard Seed