An Accidental Entrepreneur

When I was a little girl, I never thought, "some day, I'm going to own my own business!"  I wanted to be an actress on Broadway.  I never took a business class in my life.  I never thought of myself as having a good business sense.  Yet, here I am.  A business owner.  Dare I say it...an entrepreneur?  I assure you, I'm an accidental one at best. 

I toyed for years with selling pieces in an antique shop.  I would imagine making things that people would want to buy.  I dreamed of being featured in a magazine.  The thing that prevented me from following those thoughts and dreams was the fear of owning and running a business.  The fear of being an entrepreneur.  I thought that people were either born entrepreneurs or they weren't.  I didn't realize one could grow and bloom out of anyone. 

Do you think you have what it takes to be an entrepreneur?  Here are some qualities that will help you succeed...


A willingness to try and fail. 
If you're one of those people who avoids any kind of failure at all cost, then starting a business is not for you.  I'll end the suspense for all of you.  There will be times when you fail.  Spectacularly, sometimes.  There will be ideas that don't pan out, things that don't sell and dreams that don't come true.  But, I'll default to the wise words of Dory from Nemo.  If you don't let anything happen to you, then nothing will ever happen to you. 


A driven personality.
If you're lazy and lack motivation, you're not ever going to get anywhere.  It takes a lot of work to pursue your dreams and goals.  There are also a lot of things you have to take care of in a business that are a drag.  Finances, taxes, insurance, licenses and challenging clients.  If you don't have the drive, you'll quit. 

A unique idea.
As Ecclesiastes says, there is nothing new under the sun.  That said, there is a way to make your business, product, idea or service unique.  It may be small and subtle differences, but that's important.  Don't be a copycat. 

Flexibility.
When something you were excited about fails spectacularly, you need to get up, dust yourself off and get right back at it.  Adjust, adapt, go back to the drawing board.  Be flexible to follow the path set in front of you.  I started my business as a decorative artist and now I'm a blogger, freelance writer, antique dealer and designer.   How did that happen?  Well, for one thing, I was flexible. 

Smarts.
I just mean the common sense kind of smarts.  You don't have to be good at everything, you just have to recognize your weaknesses and put supports in place to help you succeed.  For example, I don't get taxes.  I'm convinced that no one understands them 100%, but I do go to an accountant, who hopefully understands them about 80%.  Since my understanding is at about 4%, my chances of success are greatly increased by hiring an accountant.  Be smart with how you run your business.

Good intuition.
You have to make sure your gut feelings are reliable and instincts are sharp.  You're going to have to make big decisions about who to work with, who to trust, when to invest big, when to walk away.  If you're someone who makes really bad decisions habitually, starting a business may not be for you. 

Above all, you have to want it.  
Passion for your business will take you much further than any other quality.  Without that, don't even bother.  With it, don't let all the little details and fears stop you. 



If you're toying with starting your own counter top business and joining the ranks of the mompreneurs, check out some of my other posts on starting your business...

My Story
The Nitty Gritty
Be Worth the Risk

I write all of this in the hopes to be an encouragement to women who long to start a business, but have some fears.  I have been there and I'm here to tell you that you can do it.  Think about it.  Make sure the timing is right.  Make sure your family will encourage you in it.  Get your ducks in a row and get started.

This year has been a whirlwind for my little business.  It's truly living up to its name.  I can't wait to share it all with you as things continue to unfold.

Miss Mustard Seed

PS - I've decided to finally post a video tutorial on making my sheet music wreaths, so keep an eye out for that soon!