Guest Room Update & Bird Cage Makeover

I love my guest room, but it's awkward.  It took about three years to finally give my guests a comfortable space, but one thing was still missing.  The poor person who slept on the right side of the bed has never had a nightstand.  They'd have to pass their glasses or cup of water to the person on the left side.  That's a pain.  The problem is that there's an attic door right where a night stand should be.  Like I said, this room is awkward.  Charming, but awkward.  It finally occurred to me that a stool was the perfect answer.  It provides a mini nightstand, but it can be moved to easily access the attic. 


I also swapped out the pillows with the unfinished needlepoint pillows I had in the living room.  They add nice warmth to this room and the white ones look better on the living room sofa.  I love when I can move things around in my house to solve simple problems.  The best thing is it's free!


I also took some time to makeover this bird cage I found at the Raleigh flea market over Thanksgiving.  Sorry for the blurry picture.  It doesn't look too bad, but it was poorly painted with tacky gold paint peeking through and, to add insult to injury, it had a dusting of iridescent glitter all over it. 


I used the "kiss" principle, here.  Keep It Simple, Stupid.  A coat of white paint can solve a multitude of poor decorating decisions. 


I showed this birdcage what some real glitter looks like!  Nothing but German glass glitter in my house. 


I have an exciting day tomorrow and I can't wait to share it all.  Also, don't fret, I will provide additional information on making your own mirrored dressers.  Lots of exciting things are just around the corner.


Miss Mustard Seed