Chalkboard Cabinet

There's no rest for me these days...even with the Christmas holiday.  I looked at my husband this afternoon and declared, "OK, I officially cannot say yes to one more thing."  We'll see if I stick to that.  If someone asks to photograph one of my rooms for a magazine or...say...someone wanted to publish my book...I'd say yes to stuff like that.  So, I guess I need to make it clear to him that I will only say yes to a few things. 

Today, I shampooed the carpets to clean up after the post Christmas mess, which has become known as "The Christmas Bomb" in my house.  The slipcovers are washed, the floors have been vacuumed and I hauled my plastic tree to the thrift store, as promised.  (Sorry, Nutbird.)  I am sold on live trees from this point forward. 


In addition to my projects for Christmas 2011, I'm making a final push to finish pieces to bring to Wild Rose and Chartreuse on Saturday.  In the past couple of weeks, I've finished a beautiful French Provincial buffet, a drafting table, a small cupboard and this metal chalkboard cabinet.  I'm so mad at myself for not taking a proper before picture.  The only one I have is this lame picture of it in my van.  It's the yellow cabinet on the right. 


It is entirely made of metal and it's a little worse for wear, but I really liked it and immediately thought it would look great in chalkboard paint.  There's something very "vintage modern" about it, now. 


I simply sanded it down with steel wool and painted it with two coats of spray-on chalkboard paint.  When dry, I rubbed the entire cabinet with a piece of chalk to "season" the surface and then wiped it off with a dry paper towel to give it that wonderful smeary chalkboard look.  It almost looks like zinc and it makes the imperfections look like "character" instead of flaws.


I sketched simple tree branches and placed one of my magnetic glittered butterflies on it.  


This piece will make a great display for my glitter letters...until it sells.

Well, I'm pooped.  When I wasn't working on projects, I was playing X Box Kinect with my four year old.  I'm pretty awesome on a hover board in Sonic, I'm telling you.   


Miss Mustard Seed