Nickelodeon and Elphaba

Today started out with a kickboxing class.  I'm fierce when it comes to a jab-cross-hook-uppercut combo and it feels great to be in the gym again.  If you follow me on Twitter, you'd know that I am making an effort to get back in shape.  Two years of focusing on my business have...well, not been so kind to my waistline.  So, I'm working on it and I'm really committed and motivated. 

Once the workout was done, the other "musts" on the to-do list were cleaning the basement, finishing my column for the October issue of Cottages and Bungalows and make this dresser Lucketts-ready. 



I really liked the paint color, but the top needed some help.  It was a slightly different shade and it had a strange texture on it...like something was set on it and left for years in the heat.  So, I decided to leave the base as is and strip the top.  A liberal coat of Citristrip followed by a wipe down with mineral spirits was all it took. 



Here's where it got messy.  The paint and Citristrip made a mixture that reminded me of Nickelodeon slime.  You know...don't say "I don't know" or you'll get it all over your head.  Any other 80's kids out there?  Anyone?  Well, this slime got all over the floor, my pants, the back of the dresser...it was a mess. 



Here's where I proved what a genius I am (not really.)  I worked with all of this slime and was too impatient to put gloves on.  My hands looked ready for the role of Elphaba.  You know?  "I wasn't made for the rose and pearl." Any other thespians out there?  It took about five minutes of good scrubbing to get them normal again.  Well, my hands never really look normal, but they at least weren't green...although some may be holding on for dear life under my nails. 

I'll show you how the dresser looks in a couple of days. 

Before I let you go today, I must apologize for not sharing a Milk Paint tutorial yet!  Ah!  I went on vacation and I've been trying to catch up and it slipped through the cracks.  I'll get to it ASAP and also write a post comparing ASCP to Milk Paint, so you can choose which is right for you. 

One last thing...the winners of the Quote the Walls $50 Giveaway are Mignon and djmills!  Congrats!!