a new way to measure color

Imagine with me, if you will.  You're a designer, walking through an antique store and you see this gorgeous chippy table.  The size isn't right, but the color is exactly what you are looking for.  Oh, if only you carried all eight of your paint color fan decks around with you, you could spend an hour conferring with strangers in the store trying to find which color was the closest match.  Well, now there is a better way. 


Capsure is a gadget ideal for designers, paint fanatics and color buffs.



Here's how it works.  You install the software and connect it to your computer.  Then you decide which paint decks you want to match colors to.  I selected Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams and True Value.  Once it's synced and charged, you can start to play.  I immediately pressed it against my kitchen wall, it read the color and said "BM - Glass Slipper."  Bingo.  Benjamin Moore's Glass Slipper.  Wow.  Cool.  I then proceeded to go around my entire house metering any color in sight. 




One thing that's really cool is that it can be used on patterns and you can zoom in and select the color you want it to read. 




So, if you want to know a color that will be a good substitution for the ASCP Louis Blue used on my corner cabinets, it's...



...wait for it...



...Cloudy Sky by Benjamin Moore.


Pretty fun, huh?  It does so much more...I know I haven't even scratched the surface, but it's definitely a great tool for designers and painting professionals.  It's a bit pricey ($650) for the average DIYer, but worth it if color is a big part of your business.  If you're interested in more information about Capsure, visit xrite.com and pantone.com.

On another note, I hope everyone who's getting pounded by Irene is staying safe and dry.  We're expecting a lot of rain and a little wind, but nothing too bad.  We're just going to be hunkered in for the evening and I'll be making some fresh pasta for a birthday lunch (for one of our former youth kids) tomorrow.  The ice cream cake is already in the freezer.



X-rite sent me a complimentary Capsure device to test out for this review, but the opinions given are entirely my own.