grain sacks and other things

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you may have noticed I kinda like grain sacks.  I know some people are so over them and it's not every one's "thing", but it's my thing.  I love the look.  I love the idea of repurposing something that was used in a utilitarian way years and years ago.  I love that they were patched and monogrammed and dated and lasted all of these years.  They capture so many things I like about antiques and I can't ever imagine growing weary of them. 

If you're interested in putting a toe into the world of grain sacks, here are some things you should know. 

The cost of grain sacks vary greatly depending on condition, origin, fabric, colors...lots of things.  American grains sacks tend to be the least expensive and most readily available here in the US (for obvious reasons.)  I have found thin cotton ones (muslin, I think) and thick cotton ones (I very rarely buy the burlap ones.)  The thin ones are generally more graphic and the graphics are dyed into the fabric.  The downside to these is that when you wash them, the dye fades and sometimes runs off entirely...especially red.  You can end up with a full load of blank, pink, muslin sacks.  Trust me on that one.  Not all of them run, so you are taking a gamble on these if you need to throw them in the wash, which you usually do.  They were grain sacks, after all. 


The thicker ones (like Bemis Seamless) tend to have graphics that are printed on and stripes that are integrated, so bleeding is not an issue when laundering.  They are a good weight for upholstery and pillows. 


You can expect to pay around $5-15 for an American grain sack on average, but a lot more if the graphic is spectacular. 
European grain sacks are my very favorite, but they are expensive. Especially since you're paying for a sack.  (Have we gone off the deep end, here?)  The cheapest I have found one is $20, but most of mine have been purchased for $30-70/each.  I am such a thrifty shopper, so this cost pains me sometimes, especially when I'm cutting them up, but it's worth it to me.  I wouldn't fill my whole house with them, but it's an occasional splurge I'll allow myself. 


The European variety are made out of a very thick linen or hemp fabric.  It is tough on scissors and the sewing machine, but it is hard wearing and fabulous for upholstery.  The flax color (and fact they're usually stained anyway) make them OK for use in homes with kids and pets.  The stripes and monograms are generally stitched or stenciled on, so bleeding is not an issue with these, either. 

If you want grain sacks for upholstery, look for ones that are wider...20-24" is best, so you can cover the width of a dining chair.  I was able to upholster six dining room chairs and the wing chair above with only four grain sacks, so you can make them go a long way. 


Even after laundering, these European sacks retain a sort of earthy smell.  They don't stink, but they still smell....earthy. 

If you want to treat yourself to one, but your budget is tight, you can find beautiful ones from Christina at the Antique Linen Store on Etsy for $44-50.  You can make 2-3 pillows out of one and get your fix...or get addicted, as I have! 

If it's totally out of the budget, you can make a pretty decent replica using drop cloth fabric and paint.  Here are some tutorials of mine that can give you some hope of getting the same look on a super-duper tight budget...


I am often asked where I find all of my grain sacks.  Unfortunately, I do not have a super secret source (although I do have a picker in Germany and one in Poland and a few new connections I've made recently), but mostly I just poke around places and try to find them.  I've found them at yard sales, thrift stores, antique shops, flea markets, auctions, Etsy, E-bay...everywhere.  If you know of a super secret source and care to share, please do!

I hope this sheds some light on the wonderful world of grain sacks and will give you some knowledge and confidence if you're interested in making that first purchase. 

A few other things...

If you've tried to load my blog on your cell phone, you may have been cursing my name as it took an eternity.  I have things set now so you can see a "mobile version" of my blog on your favorite personal electronic.  It will load a lot faster and make you much happier when you try to visit me on the go.  Give it a try!

Also, check out page 222 of the online magazine Prismma.  They wrote a very flattering spread on yours truly.   It's always fun to have my work featured.  I don't think it'll ever be a ho-hum event for me.

The last little bit of housekeeping...I had a really fun package arrive in the mail that had me a bit perplexed at first.  It was a teeny-tiny-itty-bitty HD Flip Video Camera.  Cool.  OK, who sent it?  I finally figured out that it was from True Value so I could shoot some "vlogs" for your viewing enjoyment.  I'm getting ready to do some major projects, so it'll be fun to capture tutorials and tips on film with a nice camera. 

 Miss Mustard Seed in HD!!  Can you handle it?

Let's just hope it doesn't capture me falling off a scaffold while painting my family room ceiling...

...in HD.