the first cow & my family room plans


I wrote a few days ago about my desire for a cow.  Not the cud munching, bell wearing, milk producing sort.  I had fallen in love with this inspiration painting and yearned for one of my own.  I asked my friend, Laura, to paint one for me.  I requested she work off the inspiration painting, but make it her own.  And she did a fabulous job.  Here's a sneak peek...


I'll say outright that it's not what I expected it would be.  I expected something more realistic and traditional.  That said, I have totally fallen in love with it.  It's soft and the colors and shading are exquisite.  It's an original oil and it was painted just for me and I totally love it...more and more each time I steal a glance at it.  I'm expecting my husband to stop in mid conversation as my eyes are drifting off to the wall above our fireplace, "You're looking at the cow right now, aren't you?"

Now, for the cherry on top. Another artist came forward when I posted about my desire for a cow painting.  She shared a link to her fabulous portfolio and I was smitten.  Her work is soft and traditional and lovely in every way.  She sent me an inspiration picture for a cow painting she would like to paint for me and it looked stunning.  I am about to burst with anticipation to see it completed and finally have it hanging on my wall.  I also picked out a landscape and a nest painting of hers that caught my eye.  So, within the span of a week, I went from having zero original artwork pieces to having four.  Well, one in my possession and three coming soon AND I get two fabulous cows.  One for the family room and one for the living/dining room. 

I will definitely post links to both of these artists when they're ready for me to, so you can order paintings and/or prints from them if you're interested.  Both ladies are so talented and their work is very reasonably priced. 

A couple of days ago, I purchased a frame on clearance at Hobby Lobby that is the perfect size for Laura's painting.  It had a strange peach looking finish, so I just worked on gold leafing it today.  I think it will be the perfect finishing touch on her painting.   



I also made some moss topiaries this afternoon to place on my mantle on either side of the painting.  These were cheap and super easy to make, but have a high-end look to them.  They'll frame out the painting, without detracting from it.  I want the art to be the star.


This is the fabric I purchased to use for the family room curtains.  I knew I wanted blue and white, but I wanted to choose a casual, geometric print that is more appropriate for an "everyday" space.  It's a bit more modern than most of my fabric choices, but it will be balanced with antiques, grain sacks and distressed furniture, so it will still be very "me."


Speaking of grain sacks...I just got some new ones in the mail.  Love them.


So, can you see it coming together?