kitchen accessories


First of all, I am honored to be "guesting" at Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps of the Porch.  It's a killer weekly linky party, so check it out!  Thanks so much, Susan, for letting me share some of my transformations with your readers. 

Speaking of transformations, I am having a blast working a bit on my own home.  I painted the kitchen ceiling, walls and trim yesterday and then spent the evening arranging accessories.  Some girls like to go out dancing...others like nice dinners...I just want to play with my accessories on a Saturday night. 

Can I get a witness? 

Anyway, here's what I came up with...


I collected smaller things in metal baskets and on platters to give the counters a cleaner look.  I've always been one who puts too many things on my counters (mainly because I've never had counters I liked), but it gets silly, so I simplified.


I don't have an official back splash at the moment.  Well, I do, but it's dry wall.  I would love tile or bead board, but that has to wait until I can get new counters.  Leaning large platters against the wall act as a "back splash" in lieu of a real one.  This is a great trick for those who rent as well. 




I decided to throw out my traditional paper towel holder, which I never really liked, and tucked a few rolls in a zinc basket.  An antique "horse powder" box holds brushes, a mustard crock with Bakelite flatware and some other little things. 


An ironstone platter holds cooking essentials on hand by the cook top.  Well, the cow creamer isn't exactly essential, but it looks cute there. 


Ironstone and transferware dishes are held on an antique French market balance (a recent acquisition from an antique store.)


I filed all of my "pretty" cook books in a vintage wire locker basket.  It keeps them accessible, but organized. 


I ordered my hardware today for my kitchen cabinets and purchased the fabric for the family room curtains.  I hope to buy the paint for my kitchen cabinets tomorrow, so I can keep the makeover going while I have momentum. 

Oh!  And I got my cow this weekend!  Well...one of them...there has been an exciting new development in the whole bovine story. 

More to come...