Musical Furniture

One of the perks to buying and selling antiques is I constantly have new pieces coming in that I can play with in my house.  The only pieces that are off limits to sell are family pieces.  Everything else is fair game, even the table and dining chairs straight out of my dining room, so my house is now in a constant state of flux. 

This is what my living room looks like today...


...and here is what it looked like only a year ago.  The paint?  Changed.  Furniture arrangement?  Changed.  Settee?  Gone.  Both side chairs?  Gone.  Curtains?  Gone.  Mirror and coffee table?  Yep, you guessed it, gone.


I would say this is what my dining room looks like now, but as I mentioned,  I sold this dining room set this summer. 


I changed the paint in this room as well, getting rid of my decorative flourishes and bringing in corner cabinets and a gate-leg table, while moving out the buffet.  In fact, the only furniture in this room that is the same is the high chair in the corner.  Everything else, including the rug and pictures, has been changed. 


I'm currently working on my new dining room set, which will be for sale...for one million dollars. That way, I can tell my husband I'm willing to sell it, but no one will buy it!

My guest room originally belonged to my boys until the great furniture shuffle a few years ago.  The guestroom/craft room became the boys room, the boys room became the guest room, and the nursery became my office. 


Can you believe this is the exact wall? 


And we moved our bed from the obvious wall in the Master Bedroom to a wall that had a doorway right in the middle of it. 


A fabric half canopy covered the door and made the entire furniture arrangement work much better. 


So, the upside is I get first pick of all of my finds.  The down side is that I don't feel like much in my house is permanent.  I know that the day may come when I need to part with a piece and there will be a new hole. In some cases, I don't bother hanging pictures, because I know the piece (or the picture) might sell or I might move it around.  There are days that I just want things to feel totally done and I know it won't happen anytime soon and perhaps never. 

How would you feel if furniture was always coming and going?  Would you love the constant change or grow weary of it? 

Miss Mustard Seed