Junque Swap Rules & My Picks

As I shared yesterday, we had a great time at the Swanky Junque Swap.  I received some questions about how we ran it, so I thought I would share our "rules" and an explanation of how the swap would work.  This was my first swap ever, so Karen and I just went with what sounded good and seemed to make sense.  Here's what we came up with...

Swanky Junque Swap Rules

We all want to leave the swap with something really cool, right? In order for that to happen, we all have to bring something really cool, so here are the guidelines…

• Bring two items with a minimum value of $20, but the sky is the limit. An “item” can be a group of smaller items to make a “lot.” Minimum value can be estimated and it’s what the market value is, not what you paid for it.

• Items can be a piece of furniture or a small collectible. You can bring textiles, books, glassware, costume jewelry, anything that’s cool! (…and you can definitely bring some ironstone!)

• All items brought must be vintage, antique or have an antique feel. For example, I’m considering bringing the grain sack ottoman from my guest room. It’s new, but has a vintage feel.

• Items can be “junk” that needs some work; it just has to have good potential.

These are the pieces I brought to the swap...



...a refinished and painted two-tiered table (selected by Candace)...


...and this egg study in a custom mat and gold leaf frame (selected by Karen.)

Here's how we ran the swap...

How will the swap work? Do I have to arm wrestle or throw elbows for what I want?

Yes. It will be a throw down and whoever gets the piece to their car first wins it. Just kidding!

We will draw numbers and have two rounds of a draft. So, if there are 10 ladies attending, we will draw numbers 1-10 and pick in order for the first round. In the second round, we will reverse the order, so everyone gets a good pick in one round. Example: If you draw #1, you will pick #1 in the first round and #10 in the second round.

So, what did I pick?  You can read the story of how I picked a grocery scale, but I was afraid I would make a very sweet pregnant woman cry, so I picked something else. 


This bird cage and milk glass vase (brought by Stephanie)...


...and my second pick was this vintage solid wood desk (brought by Holly.)  This is going to be a great project!

In other news, I am feeling a strong desire to continue work on my own home and this is a terrible time to act on that desire.  I was actually moving furniture around in my family room tonight, only to move it back again.  I warned my husband that all of the pictures were going to come off the wall in the living room and I would need help moving them around.  I just get to a point when I'm tired of things not being done.  I'll take a little time for some small projects, but I know this will pass and I can get to work on the things I really need to do. 

Sigh.
Miss Mustard Seed