Is there really an original idea?

I started working on my Christmas line in September.  I had so much fun playing with different themes and ideas in my head.  I finally settled on a sheet music and glitter theme - two materials I've really enjoyed working with this year.  I experimented with different techniques, styles, finishes and combinations.  I painted, glued, cut, rolled, and glittered.  I went into full production mode and then I presented my 2010 line to the world.  Well, to the blog world.  :) 


Then...


...stinkin' Pottery Barn has a line of sheet music and glitter ornaments!!  Can you believe it?!  I feel a little like a girl who shows up to the prom, only to discover that another girl is wearing the same dress. 


A couple of my readers have mentioned it to me and I finally checked it out myself yesterday. 

Now, I know my idea wasn't revolutionary, but it was an idea that came out of my creative mind, not the PB catalog.  I had no idea they were selling a sheet music and glitter line this year.  Obviously, they didn't steal this idea from me.  I'm sure they work over a year in advance on holiday lines, so it was clearly a coincidence. 

I'm coming to realize there are probably very few totally original ideas out there. 

Last year, the thought struck me that upholstery webbing would make a great garland.  I was so excited at my own creativity, only to discover it's been done before.  Lots of times. 

This realization left me a little discouraged.  I want my stuff to be special, different, unique.  I then had the realization that it doesn't matter if a concept is totally original.  What's important is that I make it my own.  Sure, PB and Little Miss Mustard Seed both offer sheet music ornaments, but I make all of mine by hand out of antique sheet music.  The styles are different.  The designs are different.  The overall look is different.  I don't need to feel discouraged at all and I can still celebrate in my creativity and originality. 

And you can, too.

So, go out there and embrace your creativity and ideas.  Run with them in your own direction.  Play, make, fail, try again, triumph, and then sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor. 

And if your ideas coincidentally show up in a magazine or catalog, just shrug it off.  Maybe one day a collection carried in that catalog will have your name on it.  Who knows? 

Miss Mustard Seed