"Grain Sack" Bench

Well, I didn't wait very long to try it in blue. 

I bought this bench last summer at a yard sale for $3.00.  It actually didn't look that bad.  The wood was dry, it was a little rickety and someone had done a poor job upholstering the top.  They had used a pretty toile fabric, but it still needed to be redone.  So, I started pulling out the tacks and nails and got a little excited when I saw the corner of what looked like an old plank top.  Major let down.  It was nasty plywood.
Once I pulled back all of the fabric, I saw why it was so lumpy.  Someone had used pillow stuffing instead of foam and batting to cushion the seat.  I can hardly knock the person.  I've done stuff like that before when I was hot to get a project done. 

Before I started with the upholstery work, I glued, sanded and stained the bench.  The wood on these legs had a gorgeous patina and I didn't want to cover that with paint.

Once the stain was dry, I cut a piece of 1" thick foam and two layers of high loft batting to size.  I used Osnaberg fabric to reproduce the look of an antique European grain sack.  You can check out my tutorial here.  The only difference is I tried out DecoArt's So Soft fabric paint.  I had to mix the blue with burnt umber to make the color what I wanted, but it worked great.
I used the "grain sack" to upholster the top of the bench.  The foam, fabric and batting were attached using a staple gun.  Since the top was nailed to the base, I had to staple the fabric to the sides of the bench instead of the bottom. 
I glued on strips of upholstery webbing to hide the staples, which was quite a happy accident. I think I like the look with the webbing trim better.
Remember that reproducing these grain sacks is not a project that requires perfectionism.  You want it to have a hand made quality. 
I am so in love with this bench.  This is going to be a tough one to sell.
I found this vintage train case when I was out at yard sales this weekend.  Isn't it cute? 
I am just bursting with all of the things I have to share.  I've slipcovered a couple of wing chairs, bought fabric for my living room curtains, found some great pieces on clearance at Hobby Lobby and yard sales, lots of exciting things. 

Make sure you check out my interview on Houzz.  You can be entered to win a $50 gift card to Pottery Barn for leaving a comment, so don't miss out!  For those of you who have left comments already...thank you.  I was almost moved to tears by your compliments and kind words.  It's so great to hear that all of the time and energy I put into my home, blog, and business are an inspiration to others. 

Miss Mustard Seed

I linked this to SNS at Funky Junk Interiors, Trash to Treasure at Reinvented, DIY Inc at the Whisper Wood Cottage, Show and Share at JAG, and DIY Day.