Basket Makeover


I recently saw some antique baskets with numbers and letters painted on them and I just loved their look.  I am a big fan of baskets, anyway, and the idea of painted letters and numbers on one had never occurred to me.  These antiques inspired me to finally work on a basket I got at an auction a few months ago. 
This basket was sturdy, but it was "blonde." (Nothing against blondes...I am one, but I'm not a fan of blonde baskets and wood.)  It was only $1.00 at the auction and I knew I could do something with it.
Can you believe it's the same basket?  I decided to stain it in my favorite dark walnut stain.  I simply used a chip brush to apply the stain and a rag to wipe off the excess.  I allowed it to dry overnight before I sprayed it with a satin polyurethane. 
I used black acrylic craft paint and free handed some random letters and numbers. 
I was going to take it to Lucketts, but I love it and I'm keeping it.  For now. 
I have a fun day ahead of me.  My three year old is "graduating" from his first year of school and his class is putting on a program in the morning.  From there, I am going antiquing with my shop owner and then my dad, aunt and uncle are coming up with a U-haul and pick-up truck full of furniture and fun stuff for me.  Not only are they bringing me goodies, but they are driving up here to help me at Lucketts.  Have I mentioned that I have an awesome family?    

Miss Mustard Seed