Bird & Branch Record Cabinet Tutorial

I got an amazing response (and lots of questions) on my Record Cabinet Gone to the Birds post, so I'm going to try to cover some of the questions that were raised in upcoming posts.  This post is more of a "how you can get this look yourself" than a tutorial.  I hope this will show some of you how easy it is to get this look on your own.


I used this vinyl decal from JC Penny for my inspiration.  It's currently on sale for $29.99.  You can see that my design is very similar, but I changed it up a bit to fit on my piece.  If you would like to replicate this look, but you are not confident in your hand painting/drawing abilities, you could use this vinyl decal as a stencil.

This look is going to work best on a piece of furniture with a large, flat front, like a dresser, buffet, armoire, or cabinet.  Paint the piece of furniture in your desired base color (mine is in SW Creamy.)  Allow it to fully dry.  Apply your vinyl birds and branches in your desired pattern.  Trace the vinyl lightly with a pencil and remove it.  Then, using an artist brush, fill in the pencil drawn design with your color choice of acrylic paint (I used Apple Barrel's Pewter Gray.) If you're concerned about chips and dings, you can apply a polycrylic top coat.  You could even just apply the vinyl and leave it on the piece.  I just prefer paint to vinyl.
So, for those of you who are in love with this look...go do it.

Miss Mustard Seed

I posted this to DIY day at ASPTL and TDC's Before & After Party.