A Stingy Queen? Go to the King.

Yay!  I finally got the other part of my new bedding.  A chocolate brown matelasse quilt and shams from Wal-Mart (ordered online.)  This is where the title of my post comes in.  I think it should be illegal to make bedding that is full SLASH queen.  Is it a full size or queen size?  Because there is a difference.  Any couple who sleeps in a queen bed and then has to spend a night squished together in a full knows there is a size difference.  It is my experience that a full/queen size normally means it's a full size.  You'll have about a 2" overhang on a queen bed, which just doesn't cut it for me.  So, when ordering this quilt, I took a chance and ordered a king.  It was a good move and fits the bed perfectly.  It is a gamble, though, because sometimes a queen bed in a king matelasse looks like a moo-moo on a girl with a nice figure.  Not cute. Ok.  I'm done.  I've said my peace about that subject. 

So, now I'll show you my progress on the room.  I've just wrapped fabric around my pillows, so it's a little rough, but you'll get the idea. 

One thing I did was add this dark teal tole tray in the middle of my ironstone plates.  I really needed some color above the bed and this compliments my fabrics and color scheme, without being too matchy-matchy.


You can see what a difference it makes.

I folded the white duvet at the end of the bed to add fluff and luxury.  It also breaks up the brown.  Now, unfortunately, it's going to get packed away until it warms up a little.  It would be a little too hot to sleep under a quilt and a duvet.

Here is a before piecture, so you can see where I'm coming from (and so I could participate in Met Monday!  Talk about some beautiful bedrooms...whew, you must check it out!)

I'm very excited to share my newest project with you.  I have loved and drooled over and pined after and stared longingly at antique European grain sacks for years.  They are always out of my budget.  Finally, I took matters into my own hands...

...and made some myself! 

These were my tests that I worked on today and I am thrilled with how they turned out.  So, you wanna know how I made them? In time, my pretties. 

So, now that I have taunted you, I need your help.  Which bed skirt should I go with?  The white quilted skirt that matches the duvet?  Or should I make a gathered skirt with the aqua toile fabric?  And don't lead me astray because you're mad that I won't tell you how to make the faux grain sacks...

Here's another thing to keep in mind.  I am considering making a half canopy over the bed.  I think I would use the toile for that.  The hesitation on that is the bed is right next to the one window in room and curtains next to a canopy might be a bit too much fabric all together.  I would move the bed in front of the window and address the two together, but we have to put a window A/C unit in during the warmer months.  Sigh...any thoughts?

Miss Mustard Seed