Bathroom Updates & Painting

I painted my master bathroom a few weeks ago and have since been tweaking and adding to it.  Seriously...is a room ever really, really done?  Anyway, I added a small wooden bench for my toddlers to use for tooth-brushing and hand-washing and light switch-reaching.  And I stole this basket from another room in the house to store our toilet paper in. 

Why not make the utilitarian attractive?  The other perk is I can always see when we're down to the last roll.

I also found the perfect mirror to replace the not-hideous-but-not-my-taste oak framed mirror.  I refinished this mirror frame to go in our bedroom, but it hit me that it would be perfect for the bathroom.  My husband is going to hang it for me tomorrow and I'll give you all the details about it. 



And so the painting in the master bedroom begins...


Wednesday nights are one of my favorites because I have the house to myself for about 3 hours.  Now, this may sound terrible to some of you, but if you're a stay-at-home mom of toddlers, you understand the joys of time at home by yourself.  So, I got my snack, my Diet Dr. Pepper, my favorite talk show playing, and got to painting. 

Well, I had to remove all of the swtich plates first.  People, if you're painting, please do this.  Don't paint over your light switch plates.  Or the light switches, for crying out loud.  Just don't do it.  (Can you tell I've lived in a house where people did that?)  What's funny about this picture is you can tell how many colors this room has been.  There's the greenish gold color on the right and the blood red dripping down the center...

This morning, I finally came to terms with the fact that this would need two coats.  Instead of wasting a gallon of expensive paint, I had a primer tinted to match the color for less than half the cost of buying a second gallon. 

Tinted primer coat...done.  One coat to go...

You know, it has become my opinion that everyone should move their furniture around at least once a year.  It's amazing to see the filth that is lurking in the unseen areas in even the cleanest of homes.  I think that's a Tostito chip back there...

I still have two more walls to finish painting tomorrow.  I completed the walls with the dressers and the bed against them, so we could put most of the room back together again.  Here's a sneak peak...

It sort of looks like "neutral land" right now and I can't wait to inject some color.  There are just not enough hours in the day.  More to come...

Miss Mustard Seed

PS - If you missed my big announcement yesterday, make sure you check it out below!  Also, come back for Furniture Feature Friday this week.  If you linked up last week, I have not forgotten about you.  I am going to feature some of my favorites in this week's post.  See you then!