My Spray Booth - No Eye Candy, Here...

This is definitely an ugly picture post, so stick with me, here.  I have had a lot of questions about my spray booth, so I thought I would finally dish the details.  I am very fortunate to have a large workshop space in my basement, so I can have a pretty large spray booth.  The size can easily be adjusted to fit in a garage, shed, or smaller basement.  My hubby is going to make me a proper spray room, but that's not going to happen until the spring.  Until that happens, this is and has been a great solution.

The booth is basically three walls of heavy plastic that were cut to size and hung from the ceiling using 1x2's and a nail gun.  The plastic was rolled around the 1x2, which was then stapled to the ceiling joists. 

I rolled the excess plastic at the bottom in 4x4's to keep the plastic tight.  When we need the space for something other than a spray booth, we can remove the boards and roll up the plastic. 

I use wood working clamps to connect the plastic walls at the corners.  I simply rolled the plastic and then clamped it in a few places.  You could use chip clips, clothes pins, or large binder clips. A clamp is also used as a tie back.

My ventilation comes from opening the cellar doors and using a fan to keep the air moving.  This is pretty effective, but it makes it impractical to use the booth when it's really cold and impossible when it's raining or snowing. 

I couldn't do a post on my spray booth without sharing a picture of my baby.  Isn't he cute?

OK, he's not a looker, but I love my Graco HVLP paint sprayer.  This thing rocks!  It has improved the efficiency and quality of my work, so it was well worth the expense.  And just a note...using a paint sprayer is very different than spray painting with a can.  Totally different creature.  I'm actually not that big of a fan of spray paint, but I love my paint sprayer.  I'll go into it further in a future post. 

My husband and I agree that the spray booth contains about 85% of paint particles and also helps with the fumes.  Since this is my business and I paint furniture several times a week, I need a ventilation fan system and something more permanent, but our temporary solution is a great option for the average DIYer.

Make sure you come back Wednesday to check out the first installment in the Workshop Series!

Miss Mustard Seed