Introducing the Workshop Series!


Mustard Seed Creations and Funky Junk Interiors are coming together to bring you something totally new to the wonderful world of blogging. Buy your number 2 pencils and loose-leaf paper and get ready to participate in the Workshop Series!



When?
Every Wednesday, starting in January 2010



What is the Workshop Series?
First of all, this is a project that has been a few months in the making and I am so excited to finally announce it!  The Workshop Series is a weekly post on our blogs dedicated to sharing our expertise, tips, and tricks on rotating topics. We want to give you the knowledge and the courage to hang that chandelier, pick up that piece of junk on the side of the road, use a power tool (gasp), take your blog to the next level, and be the DIY queen of your home!

The topics will differ on the two blogs because we are passionate about and good at different things.


So why join forces? We have different, but complimenting styles and expertise. We want to keep you inspired, excited, and guessing what’s next. This collaboration will also include commenting on each other’s blog posts as a secondary voice. The two of us can have some nutty ideas, so we’ll find out if we temper one another or egg each other on!


Let’s imagine if you will... Miss Paint Anything That Will Hold Still Long Enough Mustard Seed looks at an old garden gate and thinks it needs a crisp white paint job and glass knobs and Ms. Don’t Touch The Chippy Paint Funky Junk say it just needs a good cleaning and some antique metal hooks. You get a great piece for your foyer either way, but which style appeals to you? We'll want to see what kind of choices you make with what you learn through the Workshop Series, so we'll host occassional link parties and follower features to give you the opportunity to display your DIY skills and inspire us!


The topics each week will run in a series. The topic may last for 2 weeks or morph into 5, depending on what we are choosing to teach at that current time and the interest in that subject. Here are just some of the topics we’ll tackle:
- basic decorative painting techniques
- blog photo enhancing tips
- how to prep and refurbish furniture the professional way
- blog improvement tips
- sewing how-to's
- thinking differently with new pieces
- decorating and DIY how-to's
and more more more! We'll base our future topics on your suggestions and encourage your participation. If we aren’t proficient in a subject, we'll bring in a guest blogger to share their professional advice with you.


So, what's the first topic?
I am going to start with my speciality - Decorative Painting. Don't run for cover. Don't be scared. I am not a trained artist and if I can do it, you can do it. Stick with the Workshop Series and you'll be calling yourself an artist in no time.  I'm even going to ask Donna to dust off her artist brushes to make sure I'm not getting too advanced.  So, how would you like to be my guinea pig, Donna?

Donna: "First off, you're the only one on earth I'd allow to call me any kind of pig. :) Secondly, oh yesyesyes! I want to paint! I haven't picked up this type of brush in years but I use to tolepaint abit back in the day. I'm totally ready! Wait. Not really. I need a good brush first... and the right paint. And to prime something first so I have something cool to paint. And need room in my workshop first. Hence my first topic! Ok, I'm so not ready. Guide me oh paint buddy!"

 Funky Junk Interiors  will start with a lesson on how to set up your workshop area the right way.  If you want to know how to wind your cords, store your paint and tools, and maximize a tiny work area, you won't want to miss this.  (I'm looking forward to it as well!)



Who is Miss Mustard Seed?
Click here to read the full story, but as a brief introduction, I own a decorative painting and home decor business called Mustard Seed Creations.  I currently sell my hand painted furniture and accessories (in addition to antiques) in a shop in downtown Gettysburg, PA called Accessories - Fashion, Home and Kids.  I also work on custom pieces and murals for clients.  More importantly, I am a youth pastor's wife and a mother of two toddler boys.  (Can I say "I" one more time?)



Who is Funky Junk Donna?
If you have not met Donna, yet, through the blogs, you will be thanking me for introducing you to her and her blog.  She is resourceful, creative, talented, and fearless!  Do you know many women who would pick a horse gate out of a burn pile and put it in her foyer?  Or a girl who dons a tool belt and saftey goggles to cut corrograted aluminum to use in the back of an armoire?  You will learn a lot from her and with her authentic and warm writing style, you'll become her blog friend as well.    Click here to read her full story. 



So, get those spongy brains ready to learn, get your basements/garages ready for a lot of DIY, and get ready to strut your stuff at some show and tell linky parties! Sparks will fly, paint will be flung, and a great time will be had by all. If you aren't a follower yet, get on board so you don't miss a thing and grab our buttons to spread the word!

So, what do you think? Is it a date?  Make sure you check out Donna's announcement at Funky Junk Interiors.


Miss Mustard Seed