Frenchy Chair Makeover

When I spot French chairs that have never been rescued from their 1970's splattered wood and harvest gold or burnt orange velvety upholstery, I get giddy.  Most people won't give them a second look and most people don't see the potential.  Seeing potential in furniture is one of the things I do best.


When I spotted a pair of these old girls on Craig's List...


...I knew I could give them the attention they needed.  I took off those tufted cushions the minute they came in the door.  Behind them was a great caned back.  One was intact, but unfortunately, the other wasn't.  I stripped the chairs down, painted the frames and then reupholstered them...making the detached tufted cushions one attached cushion.  It's still cushy, but has a more refined look.  I upholstered the back of the chair with the broken caning and left the intact one painted. 


The frames are painted in Paris Gray by Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint.  I then distressed and waxed them. 


Of course these are coming with me to the fair to sell.  I'll be honest, though.  My heart won't be broken if they don't sell.  I'm a sucker for a French chair with pretty legs. 

Tomorrow I'm getting a hair cut, picking up some more furniture from my Northern Virginia picker, running some errands and then it's back to painting.  My parents are here to help and I have a babysitter lined up for the next few days. 

It's crunch time!