why I buy what I buy

I'm often asked why I buy what I buy.  It's a very unscientific process, unfortunately.  I just buy what I like and go with my gut.  I think the best way I can explain it generally is to say I buy what I think will look great...in a room, in a photo, in my retail space.  I look for the decorative quality in furniture, antiques and accessories.  I rarely buy something because it's "collectible" or "valuable."  If you want more specifics...here you go!

I always look for...

...solid wood antique and vintage furniture.  It has to be well constructed and have great lines.



...things I can use...



...to make other things.



...things that are a little quirky.



...things that once were functional and can now be art.


...ironstone.  'Nough said.




...things that are good for display.



...daily, household items like alarms clocks...



...fans...



...and scales.




...containers.  Think baskets, caddies and totes.




...things that make great photo props.





...warm woods and great texture.



... and things that you won't see in your neighbor's house.



That should give you a good start at a "Miss Mustard Seed Shopping List." 

What are the things you gravitate to when you're shopping?