Textiles

As long as I've been hunting for antiques, I have been drawn to textiles.  I love linen napkins and tea towels, quilts and spreads, grain sacks and pillow cases.  I think they're pretty, practical (for the most part) and can really make a space.  Here are some of my recent acquisitions, favorites and some tips...

Last week I found this pair of red work pillow cases.  I had some feather inserts that were the perfect size for them, so I washed and pressed them and put them on the pillows.  This pair is off to Lucketts to (hopefully) find a new home next week....although they look pretty stinking good on my guest room bed.  Hmmm...




I also found this embroidered tea towel.  I'm going to make pillow case out of it and haven't decided if it will stay at my house or not. 


This antique, feather-filled ticking pillow was a surprise yard sale find this morning.  At only $1.00, it was way too good to pass up. 


My collection of napkins, bread basket liners, table cloths and tea towels is embarrassing.  I used to buy them at every yard sale and thrift store I went to.  I have finally paired down my collection, so it's only moderately humiliating. 


...and anyone who's read my blog for a while knows my love for grain sacks.  I'm often asked for my "source" and unfortunately, I don't have any secret grain sack distributor, but I've purchased some through connections in Europe, local antique shops and off Etsy.  Just look around, talk to other dealers and be patient. 


When looking for antique textiles, these are some things to keep in mind...

Is it washable?  First and foremost, I want to be able to throw it in my washing machine and get it clean.  A lot of antique linens can be really stinky or dirty or stained or stiff or yellowed or just yucky, so I don't buy them if the fabric is not one that will hold up in the wash. 


Do you hate ironing?  If you and your iron are not "besties" or not on speaking terms or you chucked it out the window and force your husband to buy all wrinkle-free shirts and pants, don't get into vintage textiles...well, or be prepared to pay a dry cleaner.  Linen napkins have to be pressed and usually starched to look sharp.  This is a time-consuming, mind-numbing chore, especially when you buy a "dry goods box lot" at an auction or "rescue linens from a relative's attic" and have to wash and iron every single napkin and doily.  If this makes you cringe, just buy wrinkle-free cotton napkins and save yourself the frustration. 

Are you OK with imperfections?  I'm cool with them.  I am utterly imperfect right to the core and do not need to surround myself with perfect things.  Most antique textiles have age spots, holes, mending and stains.  You can find ones in excellent condition, but you're going to pay for it.  I love when old linens have been stitched and mended.  It means they were loved.  Someone loved it enough to fix it.  I would never imagine mending one of my dish towels, so I consider repairs to be a sign that it was of value to someone.

Will you use them?  Antique linens that are stuffed in a buffet or folded in a closet are pretty pointless.  Are you OK with throwing that depression era quilt over the back of your sofa or bringing out the freshly pressed monogrammed place mats for a spaghetti dinner?  It's my opinion that antique textiles should be used and don't need to be treated like they are in a museum.  Well, there are exceptions, certainly, but even a delicate christening gown can be displayed behind glass and used as art.  Please don't box them up and put them in an attic where they will become a snack for silverfish.  If you're not going to use them, let someone else enjoy them.   

Any other advice from textile lovers out there?  

Does anyone else share my linen love?



One last thing...  Thanks so much to all of my followers, subscribers, readers and friends for making my blog what it is today.  I just passed 7,000 Google Friends, 15,500 Feedburner subscribers and 4,000,000 hits (although my mom may be about a million of those...)  All of those numbers are a huge compliment and I am really thankful.