Dough Bowls

I love using contrasts in decorating.  I'm definitely a "high contrast" kind of girl.  Some people like calm, monochromatic spaces.  I like deep blue mixed with white.  Dark floors in a cream room.  A primitive cupboard filled with silver.  I think contrasts make a space look interesting.  This is one reason why I am attracted to junk haunts as well as higher end antique stores.  This is also why I look for things that are humble as well as those that are show-offs. 

This leads me to my topic today...dough bowls. 


I've wanted one for a long time, but never found one at a price I was willing to pay.  I love the hand carved marks, the worm holes, the warmth of the wood, the shape. 

The Nester wrote a great post on dough bowls a few months ago and that amped up my desire.  Have you ever noticed how seeing a friend, holding her find victoriously, can make you want that object even more? 


She's so cute and she looks so happy with her dough bowl.  Anyway, she found this one (and another) for a steal at $49.  I found mine a few months ago, but had to shell out more than that.  I've learned that some pieces are worth splurging on and this was one of those for me.  The one I found was an antique dough bowl from Holland.  It's now on my dining room table...filled with lavender bunches. 




I have been fortunate to find a few more and sold one at the Lucketts Antique Market in May and another out of my pavilion a couple of months ago.  Part of me hoped they wouldn't sell, so I could use them for display, but that's the way this business works. 





Although dough bowls have a reputation for being very "primitive country", they can be striking in a modern space, utilitarian in a traditional space and right at home in a cottage space. 

Do you think a dough bowl would work in your home?