What I Look For

When I go shopping, I never know what I'm going to look for or what I'm going to find.  There are certain things I always gravitate towards, but I go with an open mind and I am often surprised at what I come home with.  These are some of the qualities that catch my eye...
Pieces that were utilized in daily life.  I love elevating something that was functional to something that's all about looks.
I love things like fans, scales, clocks, linens, kitchen utensils...things that are humble.
Things that are multi-functional.  Baskets, boxes, totes and platters can be used in so many practical ways and they look great, too.
Things that were special.  I love christening gowns, not only for their detail and delicate beauty, but because they were worn on a very important day in a baby's life.  
I also look for trophies, letters, and other sentimental items and keepsakes.
Things that are unique. I must admit that I get a lot of raised eyebrows from my friends and family for some of the things I buy, but I love having pieces that people want to stop, look at, and wonder about.  This calf muzzle definitely falls in that category. 
This old, rusty metal piece is a curiosity...
...as are these duck callers and umbrella handles.
Things that can be reinvented.  I love the shape of this chicken feeder and have loads of ideas on how to use it.  I'm always looking at pieces for what they can be, not what they are.
Things that look cool.  Sometimes, it's just about the look.  If something will look really cool in a bowl, on a wall, or on a table, it's a contender for coming home with me.
And to be a little more specific, I am always on the lookout for ironstone, Bakelite flatware, monogrammed linens, feed sacks, and architectural pieces.

What do you look for?
Miss Mustard Seed

By the way, my glass canisters are featured today over at CRESCENDoh.  Check it out!