A Vintage Find With Many Modern Uses

Yesterday, I shared some of my newly acquired yard sale and flea market finds and this vintage milk delivery box was among the deals.  It didn't look like this when I bought it, though.
The box was in excellent condition with a clean interior (it wan't all rusted and nasty), but the paint advertising the dairy had worn off.  This box fit several categories that I look for in what I buy.  It has a story, it is multi-functional, and it's great storage.  I can image one of these sitting on my front porch when my house was young (it was built in the 1940's.)  I am not old enough to remember those days, but we did have bread, beer, and sodas delivered to our door when we lived in Germany. 
I decided to use the blank front to my advantage and marry the vintage piece with a modern product.  Chalkboard paint was the perfect solution.  This box can become anything you want it to be. 
How about as an ice bucket or cooler for drinks?  If I was using this for ice, I would want to put a plastic liner in it, just to be safe, but the insulated box would keep your ice chilled as you guests linger through the evening hours.
I also immediately pictured it being a perfect and stylish place to store powdered laundry detergent.  It's almost the perfect size to drop a small box of soap into. 

Idea number three is to use it as diaper storage.  A clever girl, Katie Bell, used one she found at a yard sale this way.   I store my diapers in a metal bread box, so we are definitely on the same track.  I tested it out and it is the perfect size for half a box of diapers.
It's a great idea to keep diapers handy and hidden in a common room. 

Some other ideas...

  • Use it as a planter or to store potting soil.  To successfully grow a plant in it, make sure you drill holes at the bottom or fill it with gravel to provide proper drainage. 

  • It's a good size to hide your non-pretty toiletries in the bathroom, like hair products and lotions.  It would also look great sitting on the toilet tank to keep extra TP rolls on hand.

  • If you have a great porch, why not sit one on the steps as a nod to the past?  Sometimes an item doesn't need to be repurposed to be used in a creative way. 
Now, go enjoy the fireworks.  Happy Independence Day! 

Miss Mustard Seed

I linked this up to SNS over at Donna's blog.