Measure Twice, Hang Once

First of all, I decided that I am not going to host FFF this week (again.)  I am a guest judge on The CSI Project for furniture makeover week, so if you have something to share, link it up over there and I will be picking ten of my favorites and one winner.  Will it be you? 

I love decorating with plates.  They are cheap, pretty, and versatile.  I buy a good transferware or iron stone plate whenever I see them at yard sales, antique or thrift stores for a reasonable price.  I am putting the finishing touches on my dining room and that involved hanging some plates to flank the archway into the living room. 
Here are some tips for hanging your plates in a nice, straight line.  I'm hanging a collection of three on a small piece of wall, so I measured the width of the wall and then divided it by two to find the center point. 
I held my bottom plate at a good height and made a pencil mark where the height and width intersected.   
I hung the first plate and held the second plate above it at a distance that was pleasing to the eye, making a mark with a pencil at the hanger height.  I measured from the edge of the wall to the center point to confirm that the second plate was not only hung at the right height, but in line with the first plate.  I used the measurement between the first and second plate to dictate how far apart all of the rest of the plates would be. 
I repeated this process with the third plate and then on the opposite wall.
These plates are the perfect way to bring some color around the archway. 
The plates on the top and bottom were very cheap yard sale plates, but the ones in the middle are over 100 years old and quite valuable.  They were passed down through my husband's family. 

Almost done with the dining room...

Miss Mustard Seed