Small Shelf Makeover

I wish I had a true before picture of this shelf. I found this at a thrift store several months ago for about $4.00. It was a dated, dark brown with terrible paneling as the back that was broken in several places. My hubby replaced the back with a thin plywood and I primed and painted it in a bright white. This shelf was then neglected for a few months. I have moved it from place to place in my office, never really wanting to work on it. I had zero inspiration. I was ready to pitch it and get it out of my site. A couple of days ago, I made the 40 minute trek out to Hobby Lobby and found some beautiful scrapbooking paper (along with tons of other fun stuff.) Now, I am not a scrapbooker, but lately I've been looking at the papers out there and getting tons of inspiration for my painting. So, I bought a book of paper, not really knowing where I was going to use it, but knowing it would come in handy for various projects. While cleaning my office I came across my forgotten shelf. The paper! Mod Podge! Inspiration at long last!

So, I pulled out my new jar of Mod Podge (the very first one I've ever purchased) and found a paper that I thought would look cute on the shelf. I measured and used my paper cutter to make perfectly straight cuts.

I did a dry fit to make sure everything looked good and then applied the Mod Podge with a foam brush. No matter how much I tried to smooth out the paper, there were bubbles...argh. But, the strange thing was when it was fully dry, there were no bubbles. OK, I'll take it.

I applied two coats of Mod Podge total and then did some decorative painting on the knobs and the drawers to tie them in with the paper. And ta-da! My neglected shelf is finally finished and shop-worthy.

I think it will look so cute in a bathroom or a girl's room, even a kitchen. Why not? There's a little grove for plates, so it would be perfect for displaying a tea cup & saucer collection.



I kept the decorative painting very simple and matched the floral detail in the paper.
As a side note, am I the only one who thought it was Modge Podge, not Mod Podge?

Furniture Feature Fridays
Make sure you're getting your projects ready to share for this weeks FFF link party and giveaway. You won't want to miss it! Grab a button and spread the word.

Miss Mustard Seed


I'm posting this to Met Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch , Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors, and DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land.